National Shrimp Scampi Day, U.S.

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:18 AM
Next Monday, April 29th, is National Shrimp Scampi Day. I found this out when I was looking at a restaurant's web site and it was prominently noted, as the dish will be on special. Don't know if we have any shrimp, but have to pick up a couple of things at grocery today or tomorrow so will get some if we don't, and a lemon or 2.

I've just finished a 1kg bag of shrimp. I love them!
Back in the 70s in the UK ( when food was, TBH, pretty dire) we'd snack on "vinegared shrimp"in the local pubs. Then there was the famous "Prawn Vindaloo" in the Curry houses, "butterfly shrimp"in Italian restaurants and the Chinese "shrimp toast".
Fast forward to Margarita Island in the 90s, when a restaurant opened called "Antonio's". The menu would be presented on a large tray, live: fresh snapper, sea bream, barracudas, swordfish, mussels, clams and about 3 or 4 varieties of shrimp, including some which were deep sea and full of iodine. Just grilled with s&p and some lime juice.
About 20 years ago, I could get hold of jumbo shrimp, which went on the grill and were served with hot mango salsa. These days they're a little more difficult to find.

Next Monday, April 29th, is National Shrimp Scampi Day. I found this out when I was looking at a restaurant's web site and it was prominently noted, as the dish will be on special. Don't know if we have any shrimp, but have to pick up a couple of things at grocery today or tomorrow so will get some if we don't, and a lemon or 2.
That's my birthday :) I kinda wanted sushi though. Maybe we can get sushi Sunday night instead. I've got a few pounds of frozen shrimp.

How’s it going round the kitchen now, easier?

No, not really. I can only cook in short bursts as I can only stand up for a short time. I can cook a curry sauce in relays I think. I have some previously roasted spices ground in a jar. Start with onions cooked on fairly low until they soften and brown (during the cooking I sit down) then add grated ginger and garlic. Cook a few more minutes (while I sit down). Add spices, fish sauce and half a tin of crushed tomatoes. Cook another 10 minutes (while I sit down). Add prawns and cook a few more minutes. Done.

No, not really. I can only cook in short bursts as I can only stand up for a short time. I can cook a curry sauce in relays I think. I have some previously roasted spices ground in a jar. Start with onions cooked on fairly low until they soften and brown (during the cooking I sit down) then add grated ginger and garlic. Cook a few more minutes (while I sit down). Add spices, fish sauce and half a tin of crushed tomatoes. Cook another 10 minutes (while I sit down). Add prawns and cook a few more minutes. Done.

Glad you’re heading in the right direction ❤️

Just a thought (and I’m sure you’ve thought of this already) but have you considered a multicooker or pan that you can plug in and use sat down at your dining room table?

Possibly not an instant pot because they are deep with a small base area so sautéing in those sat down without being able to fully see in would be hard work but maybe a flatter slow cooker style with other functions or one of those plug in frying pans.

I have this one (no longer in stock but I’m sure there are others)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0117ODOWS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

and this one which I used a lot when I broke my foot. These are cheap and easy to use, although slightly difficult to control the temperature on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-3550...prefix=plug+in+frying+pan,aps,150&sr=8-3&th=1

I found them good for sat down cooking 👍

EDIT: Hmm I would have been better off with one of these wouldn’t I?!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8MRD...&s=kitchen&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw

Last edited:

I bought a height adjustable rolling stool. It's made my life much better. Not nearly as much back, leg or hip pain.

Still have to stand up for quick sautéing or stir fry, or when making roux for gumbo though.

Glad you are doing some better though, just NO MORE falls please!

Picking up scampi for today shortly!

I presume you mean langoustine tails? Scampi is a generic term which can mean different things and in the USA shrimp (prawns are used) as langoustine are rare. In the USA (as I understand it) its not a breaded dish. Here in the UK the langoustine is often served breaded and fried and if you order scampi in a pub/restaurant that is what you get.

Glad you’re heading in the right direction ❤️

Just a thought (and I’m sure you’ve thought of this already) but have you considered a multicooker or pan that you can plug in and use sat down at your dining room table?

Possibly not an instant pot because they are deep with a small base area so sautéing in those sat down without being able to fully see in would be hard work but maybe a flatter slow cooker style with other functions or one of those plug in frying pans.

I have this one (no longer in stock but I’m sure there are others)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0117ODOWS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

and this one which I used a lot when I broke my foot. These are cheap and easy to use, although slightly difficult to control the temperature on.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Quest-35500-Multi-Function-Adjustable-Thermostatic/dp/B00GTRQHQ4/ref=sr_1_3?crid=BM7N97SAQJFO&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.fkvSMPTniciBlMqfGzwdvHLvchU4pOohjSWKP0SeMDzBRTFH4UkhYalHZ4jXM39qy3Vb1CNhSEEoDtgUEvRiOs_goZcFKNrXimjxTG3bJ8mmc3K7qwGr1I5lQ09Up99IgTH1KWQZk7xJO6Y7awWsnSl5oVTpCVkiHllZ9QjbEgrLhrTw7cjkGKItfNGlTlaOTd2ZHAMUNnDoo6qoaeuUNLgAVTsuuSJwOzaXDZQaazw.SxgBSLvTVUrWD0FRDZRwOSvvx_BmKiQuw_QzYD_7Rl8&dib_tag=se&keywords=Plug+in+frying+pan&qid=1714223302&sprefix=plug+in+frying+pan,aps,150&sr=8-3&th=1

I found them good for sat down cooking 👍

EDIT: Hmm I would have been better off with one of these wouldn’t I?!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B8MRD...&s=kitchen&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw
I bought a height adjustable rolling stool. It's made my life much better. Not nearly as much back, leg or hip pain.

Still have to stand up for quick sautéing or stir fry, or when making roux for gumbo though.

Glad you are doing some better though, just NO MORE falls please!

Thank you both for your suggestions. I have got past the stage of counter top/table top devices which I used from a wheelchair to start with. I got little pleasure from cooking then because I really enjoy prepping and chopping and slicing which was so awkward I ended up avoiding it. In truth I am now strong enough to stand and walk and the more I do it the stronger I get. That's really important as I lost a lot of muscle following the last surgery (due to being on liquids only for so long and then not able to eat more than small amounts). So, I'm persevering with cooking standing up and choosing dishes that don't require constant attention.

The curry sauce for the prawns took 35 minutes from scratch, sitting between stages (although I did use some ready ground roasted spices which I'd previously made and kept in a jar). I will add some photos shortly. The king prawns are defrosting in the kitchen.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom