National Vegetarian Week (UK)

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
1:31 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
It's National Vegetarian Week in the UK this week, which runs from 18th - 24th May 2015.
www.nationalvegetarianweek.org

I have to confess I had no idea whatsoever. :oops:
Having been vegetarian for +30 years anyway it makes little difference to me, but I was wondering if anyone else has any plans or was even aware of it?

The National Vegetarian Society are visiting 7 cities handing out free pizza, so from their website, hedge are the free slices of vegetarian pizza.

Here are the seven locations head along between 11:30 and 14:30 to get a slice of pizza:

18 May – Newcastle-upon-Tyne, Northumberland Street South
19 May – Glasgow, Sauchiehall Street
20 May – Belfast, SS Nomadic, Titanic Quarter
21 May – Liverpool, Church Street
22 May – Leicester, Humberstone Gate West
23 May – Reading, Broad Street
24 May – Cardiff, Working Street

So, now you know, what are your plans for it? :D

I've been vegetarian for more than 30 years as well and this is a new one on me. I suppose it doesn't exactly make a lot of difference for us veggies, who will simply carry on exactly as we've been doing.

There seems to be a worrying amount of pizza involved in these events.

I've eaten sausages for 47 years and i see national sausage week in the trade press once a year but couldn't tell you when it is ,or why they actually bother ,
and why pizza at a vegi week promotion surely they can promote better than that ,and why promote something that is a life choice or for health reasons

I've eaten sausages for 47 years and i see national sausage week in the trade press once a year but couldn't tell you when it is ,or why they actually bother ,
and why pizza at a vegi week promotion surely they can promote better than that ,and why promote something that is a life choice or for health reasons

I am way out here in the Caribbean and because we are so quick to follow I wonder if it isn't going to be celebrated here as well. Sadly, I wouldn't know as I am always late on the local news. Berties, the vegetarian pizza was a catch for me. It might be a marketing strategy: pizza is a favourite with most, so it would dispel the notion that vegetarian foods are boring.'Pizza everyone: come out'!

It strikes me as strange too. I've absolutely nothing against vegetarian pizza (after all the basic Margareta is vegetarian) and there are many veg pizzas on sale already such as mushroom, spinach and pine nuts, four cheeses etc. It does seem rather an unimaginative way to promote vegetarian food, but maybe they have a wonderful new pizza recipe which will convert all those carnivores. Sadly, all the cities are too far away from here so I won't be able to find out.

Another thing i never quite grasp is the preponderance of (processed) vegetarian foods that are designed to resemble meat. Why do we need stuff that looks like sausages, bacon, mince, chicken, burgers, etc.? What's wrong with, dare I say it, vegetables?

National Vegetarian Week sounds like a good idea to me. I have never heard about it before either, but it would certainly encourage more people to eat healthier. I suppose something like this would catch on in my part of the world soon.

I am not really fond of vegetarian pizza though. Once we had to entertain visitors who do not eat meat products, and so we decided to buy some vegetarian pizza for them. Well, I suppose it was enjoyed by them all, but as I am so accustomed to the other kind of pizza, I did not find it very palatable. I guess I would have to use it more often so as to acquire the taste for it. However, I do like veggie burgers. I buy them more regularly than the meat-based ones.

Back
Top Bottom