New here

Tonychantelle

Local time
9:52 AM
Hi
I'm Arwyn from Wales.

I was directed here, because I was finding difficulty with American recipes which use cups and sticks of butter amongst others.

I am keen to try cooking more things, and brace acquired a pretty good collection of appliances and utensils ranging from my nutri ninja blender to my bread machine.

I eat quite healthy. I used to grow my own veg (organic) when I had a garden. Although now I'm living with my wife in a garden less flat.
Eat as little white processed sugar as possible, although I occasionally use sugar if using alternatives failed.
Good healthy alternatives are xlitol or stevia. Occasionally maple syrup or honey, if the recipe permits.

Also i won't use microwaves, aluminium or plastic in the cooking process.

Hi, welcome to the forum. I know there's a section on here somewhere that details British-US equivalents, but we have lots of people from all over the world, so if you run up against something, just ask.

Just before joining the forum here, I had to convert sachets of powdered unflavored gelatin to sheets of unflavored gelatin, and figure out the slightly different blooming process, because I was using a British recipe. It's all part of the fun. :)

I'll have to report back to you! I tried a strawberry cheesecake recipe calling for gelatin to firm it up.
I've made cheesecakes before but I guess mixing the cream with strawberries thinned it out and I ended up with a biscuit layer with strawberry goop on top.

Hi Tony, I am relatively new here too! So far I am really enjoying this group of people, very warm and welcoming, and so diverse. I am in the US. I currently live in Ohio but am originally from Florida. Welcome!

Kia ora, hope you hang around. I love Wales, I need to try your salt marsh lamb I've seen on tv. They tell me it's the best ever!!

Russ

Hi Arwyn, I'm new too. For reference though, a stick of butter is 1/2 cup. No idea what that equals in your lexicon though. This is a very friendly and nice group. I think we will like it here. :)

Hi Arwyn, I'm new too. For reference though, a stick of butter is 1/2 cup. No idea what that equals in your lexicon though. This is a very friendly and nice group. I think we will like it here. :)

I always thought a stick was 1/2 pound or 8ounces or 250 grams approx.

Russ

A stick in the US would be 1/4 pound, as there are 4 sticks in a pound of butter. A US measuring cup is 4 oz. So 2 sticks would be 8 ounces in weight, but liquid measurements come out differently, so not sure. Milkduds bakes, I don't, so I trust her on the liquid measurement.

I do have a kitchen scale that can convert to grams but of course I don't use it often since everything here is measured non-metric.

A stick in the US would be 1/4 pound, as there are 4 sticks in a pound of butter. A US measuring cup is 4 oz. So 2 sticks would be 8 ounces in weight, but liquid measurements come out differently, so not sure. Milkduds bakes, I don't, so I trust her on the liquid measurement.

I do have a kitchen scale that can convert to grams but of course I don't use it often since everything here is measured non-metric.

A stick is quarter, OK, I was wrong. I thought it was a half pound. Brain reset! Thanks.

Russ

Yes, the confusing part is that a liquid measuring cup is 4 ounces but that doesn't mean that something 4 ounces in weight (like butter or sugar) will equal that in a measuring cup. UGH. Why couldn't we have just gone metric awhile back?

Yes, the confusing part is that a liquid measuring cup is 4 ounces but that doesn't mean that something 4 ounces in weight (like butter or sugar) will equal that in a measuring cup. UGH. Why couldn't we have just gone metric awhile back?

A rough rule of thumb is 1 kilo is 1 litre. I know a 50 litre keg weighs 50 kilos . I was bought up with imperial measurements but in my teens we went metric, July 67 we went decimal as well. In currency.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom