New JBL Flip 4 Bluetooth Speaker!

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
7:59 AM

Got this cute little speaker from Amazon. After trying Bluetooth speakers that just wouldn't work with the smartphone, I decided to get this one. incredible sound!! Easy to set up!! Very loud to be so small!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Out of courtesy to my neighbors, in the spirit of keeping things quiet, I use bluetooth head phones.

I have Sony Bluetooth headphones that I bought to use with the giant-screen LG TV. They are also paired with the smartphone. :whistling:

One of these days you might want real hifi. People now are complacent and settle for mediocre sound, even bad sound.

Some friends and I deal in the older high to high-mid end fi and let me tell you it sounds way different.

The bass is well defined and if you like loud you can actually feel it. not quite as loud and you can at least feel it on the floor. There is a response, I guess psychological but it is based on physical stimulus. And you have to watch where you put the speakers for them to sound right, and to have correct "imaging". That is being able to almost see the stage and where the instruments are. I was surprised once I had the imaging that all orchestra music sounded like it was mixed the same or something. But it is simple stereo, each instrument or section does not get its own channel.

Well it mixes itself. This because each instrument (section) is actually assigned to a certain place. This is not so muxch the sound, it is for the convenience of the conductor. he cannot look all directions at once and the whole thing might occupy like 70% of his visual field. So he looks left to really guide the oboes and on the right he knows where to point his baton or hand, whichever, to wake up the violins when their part is coming up.

This is so far removed from anything I would ever do you might be a bit surprised that I appreciate it so much. I like learning and this was something new to me.

Anyway, i can probably search your local Cl and stuff and find you a decent starter system for a reasonable price.

In fact I moght find someting along the way I want, I will gladly pay to have it shipped, but it MUST be packeged the way I say, I have too much experience on them breaking stuff. This could help pay for your stuff of course.

One thing is when online I deal in Postal Money Orders. There is a number right on them you can call in and check if it is good, and you can cash it for cash at the local post office.

I am tempted to just pay for the whole thing but I just can't afford to do that. Just to borne another audiophile. If they send me another $1,400 I will seriously consider just sending one. LOL

T

I have one I listen to occasionally at night. It came free with my s8 and is worth about $200.
Pretty much like the one shown by op.

Russ

One of these days you might want real hifi. People now are complacent and settle for mediocre sound, even bad sound.

Some friends and I deal in the older high to high-mid end fi and let me tell you it sounds way different.

The bass is well defined and if you like loud you can actually feel it. not quite as loud and you can at least feel it on the floor. There is a response, I guess psychological but it is based on physical stimulus. And you have to watch where you put the speakers for them to sound right, and to have correct "imaging". That is being able to almost see the stage and where the instruments are. I was surprised once I had the imaging that all orchestra music sounded like it was mixed the same or something. But it is simple stereo, each instrument or section does not get its own channel.

Well it mixes itself. This because each instrument (section) is actually assigned to a certain place. This is not so muxch the sound, it is for the convenience of the conductor. he cannot look all directions at once and the whole thing might occupy like 70% of his visual field. So he looks left to really guide the oboes and on the right he knows where to point his baton or hand, whichever, to wake up the violins when their part is coming up.

This is so far removed from anything I would ever do you might be a bit surprised that I appreciate it so much. I like learning and this was something new to me.

Anyway, i can probably search your local Cl and stuff and find you a decent starter system for a reasonable price.

In fact I moght find someting along the way I want, I will gladly pay to have it shipped, but it MUST be packeged the way I say, I have too much experience on them breaking stuff. This could help pay for your stuff of course.

One thing is when online I deal in Postal Money Orders. There is a number right on them you can call in and check if it is good, and you can cash it for cash at the local post office.

I am tempted to just pay for the whole thing but I just can't afford to do that. Just to borne another audiophile. If they send me another $1,400 I will seriously consider just sending one. LOL

T

I DO have a separate Yamaha amplifier & a Yamaha tuner that I'm planning to add bookshelf speakers to, as well as a turntable or CD payer to turn it into a real stereo system. :whistling:

Dang! I thought we were going to talk about a poor quality brand of speargun. Had a cobia hand me back a pretty bent spear shaft from a JBL.

I DO have a separate Yamaha amplifier & a Yamaha tuner that I'm planning to add bookshelf speakers to, as well as a turntable or CD payer to turn it into a real stereo system. :whistling:
Cool. Yamahas usually sound really nice.

Just a matter of good speakers.

T

Cool. Yamahas usually sound really nice.

Just a matter of good speakers.

T

Amazon has good bookshelf speakers that I've been looking at for a while, as well as CD players & an Audio Technica direct drive turntable. :whistling:

As long as you can audition them. Return policy is important with things like this.

T

As good as these look, & as bad as I wanted them, I'm going to have to abandon them. They won't work with an amp or receiver, since tone of them has audio controls. The one without it does. Well why don't they make & sell a pair of them without the audio controls? Have to look on Ebay for a used pair. :whistling:

Looked at these Boses on Ebay. They're used, look good & there's nothing wrong with them!! And sold in pairs!! They look brand new!! :whistling:

Ahh, amplified speakers, some yearn for them but not everyone.

I would not recommend Bose because they are not high fidelity, nor do they even pretend to be. They like to reflet the soud all over the room which you will probably find tiring after a time. Like surround soud, so many peole just turn it off. I work on the stuff and sometimes I get an amp or receiver in fried and the people say "Forget the surround, all I want is the two main channels working".

Straight stereo with speakers that are ceisp and well defined, meaning they point all the sound at you, are probably what will give you the best experience for the longest period of time.

Back soon.

T

OK, these are good, but need a itle work;

VINTAGE RARE ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR 14 SPEAKERS AR14 - electronics -...

At $140 the price might be a but high but not much. They need to be refoamed, whch is common and not that hard to do. I could do it, someone around there shoud be able.

KLH Model 6000 Tiny Bookshelf Satellite Speakers - electronics - by...

Those could probably use a subwoofer because they are small.

Boston Acoustics A60 Bookshelf Speakers Made in USA - electronics -...

Now these are GOOOD. They will need no subwoofers. The price is a bit steep at $289 I think but I don't know the market there. But I can tell you just about any Boston Acoustics with a model number starting with A- is a good speaker. Even at that price I highly recommend them. Of course once you get there you can see if he has any wiggle room on the price. I HIGHLY recommend them just wish the price was a bit lower.

I could probably do better by contacting my audio guys, but while you would save money on the price it would all be wasted on shipping.

I bet when you hear the Bostons you will want them. I'll bet a couple of filet mignons. Got an olady ? Might make a nice dinner, but if you don't like the Bostons there is something wrong with your ears, and bad. There is something wrong with my ears but I still like that sound.

I don't have the specs but I know the A-70s go all ten octaves, that means 20-20,000, all of it. These are likely to be close. While they got the good bass, they got alot more going for them. Really good dispersion of the sound helps with the imaging, and those tweeters are nothing to sneeze at, nice fine detail actualy only rivaled usually by ribbon tweeters but not as inefficient.

Really, give them a listen. (no affiliation off coure, I don't even know anybody there unless Tom happens to be on your highway on his way home for NYC.

You know, I just thought of that, I could get him to drop off some speakers. He has a few good pairs and could bring more than one pair. He will be going back to NYC like late Sunday, he could go a bit earlier. I can vouch for him 100%, he dude has my bank account info etc. he is trustable, HA, looking for credentials his are better than mine. Like that movie, was it Look Who's Coming To Dinner ? Daughter walks in a with a Black Man she likes and her Parents had a problem at first. Daddy had money and would check out any prostectus she would bring home. so he checks the guy out and his credentials are better than Dad's. Like I am not a felon, he is not even a misdemeanorer. I kinda like that part, in fact I think it is a good movie overall. Ijuat mention all this because some people have a problem trusting strangers. I am also guilty of that, that is why there is a gun within two feet of me.

If you'd like, I will be talking to him this weekend after he sleeps of the drive down here. i can bringthis up. Any charges might just be for the detour, since he is kinda going that way already. Hehas brought over soem spseakers for work and some of them are quite good.

Your call Man. If you would rather not hassle with this, you will love those Bostons there on CL.

T

Back
Top Bottom