New Year's Eve and Day. Whatcha' eating?

For dinner this evening, my husband made boeuf bourguinon

I almost always make some Mercan "pigs in a blanket" on NYE, and probably will tonight. Hormel Little Smokies wrapped in Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough and baked. They look like this...

View attachment 36276

Those, and other finger foods are my usual NYE fare. I may have a wee bit of whiskey, too. :okay:

CD

I prefer sausages wrapped in bacon :wink:

Bacon n egg pie as my post, tried to order fish n chips from around the corner of our seaside joint, phone must have been off the hook, very very busy shop, flagged that idea as it's usually an hour wait. Maccas filled us up in the end.

Russ

🙋‍♀️ HI everyone! Happy New Year and all that. I have been doing an intense course in French conversation which made me into quite the obsessive. I have decided to rest from that for this first month of 2020 so that I can read here and possible join in now and again.

🙋‍♀️ HI everyone! Happy New Year and all that. I have been doing an intense course in French conversation which made me into quite the obsessive. I have decided to rest from that for this first month of 2020 so that I can read here and possible join in now and again.

I love the French language, I studied it at high school, along with German. Only retained some French words, enough to order a meal. The French like kiwis, well so they told me, but not so much the Brits ?

Russ

I think the relationship between the English (particularly) and the French is well-documented. :)

As is Brits and scots. I've worked for a Scotsman, well actually two, they were both very good to me. One guy used to whistle Norwegian wood for some reason. All the time.

Russ

Yer basic spiral-sliced ham. Just heat and eat, more or less.

Accordion potatoes, aka potato fans, aka hasselback potatoes, aka fanned potatoes, done up au gratin style. Potatoes are sliced thin, tossed in a cream and cheese mixture, stood up on end in a dish, more cream and cheese added, then baked, then topped with cheese and baked some more.
Sprouts in a maple-balsamic glaze and topped with toasted pecans and bacon. I expected the wife to say these were a waste of good bacon, as she hates sprouts, but she said she liked these quite a bit. Well done, me. :)

New Years eve dinner was a can of cold Amy's Golden Lentil Soup / Indian Dal, eaten not so romantically by candlelight.

I had to cancel out on a small dinner party about 50 minutes away. We'd been hit by a severe ice storm on the 30th, and a bit more ice and snow overnight - and several power failures, six hours each day, as ice laden trees couldn't take it any more and went down. The 30th it was one solid bolus, the second day it went in one hour increments then a full 4 hours without.

We weren't planning on staying up till midnight at any rate.
jan 31 ice storm frontyard-.jpg

We (at the party I missed) were all going to leave early before the drunks took over the midnight roads. But at any rate, that was NYE's dinner for me. I spent the time 1) running the robot vacuum cleaner, just for some noise, since the fridge couldn't hum; 2) taking photos when it was daylight, 3) perusing catalogs and ordering veggie seeds for spring, 4) visiting chickens, 5) trying to remember NOT to flush!, 6) general reading, 7) and a few other minor things.

Last edited:
And then there's New Year's Day.

Jan 01 - sun breaks in-.jpg

Finally, some blue off to the left sky. Ice still bedeckles the trees.

Breakfast on New Years Day was a rooster thigh re-heated in the oven, and a bit of yogurt with finger lime spheres inside. The second (and last) meal, I went to Easthampton to visit the friend who had leftovers from the previous night, which we consumed around 2 pm, and hung out and chatted. Her area was by then pretty much devoid of ice - indeed, much of hers was gone by the dinner party she'd hosted the night before. We ate her own European-influenced lentil soup, her aunt's recipe for German cole slaw, and her home made ice cream flavored with mince meat. And a shot of maple liquor in de-caf coffee.

Right now, I look outside on the 2nd, and my trees are still coated with ice. The temperature reads 28 F, and it is just about 10 am.

I remember the yearly ice storms when I lived in upstate NY. A much bigger PITA than heavy snows, but they sure were beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom