New Year's Eve/Day Eats & Drinks

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
3:35 AM
What do the fine folks here have planned for New Year's Eve foods and bevvies? Here at Chez Tasteé, it'll be:

New Year's Eve
Cheese fondue with bread and sausages to dip. We'll have wine and kirsch with that, so probably no bubbly, but I'm not ruling it out.

New Year's Day
Haven't really thought of breakfast, but I think it'll be a boiled egg with toast and sausages.

Pesto-tomato toasts, and crackers with a cranberry-cream cheese spread during the day for snacking, along with Fish House punch to sip on all day.

Main meal will be pork and sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, tomato fritters (for the challenge), and a cold cucumber-radish salad. Dessert will be a fruit cobbler thingy (from Aldi) and vanilla ice cream.

What's on your menu?

NYE, I always have a sausage/queso dip and chips, and often make some mini pigs in blankets (US Version) with Hormel Little Smokies, just for nostalgia.

NYD, I'll probably braise a small pork shoulder/butt roast, with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes -- just like last year.

PorkKraut001.jpg

CD

We'll have the traditional Dutch new year's donuts called 'oliebollen'

Oliebol - Wikipedia

Due to lockdown it's just the two of us celebrating, so it won't be that much food this time around. Oliebollen alone are quite filling.
I'm planning on making some devilled eggs, and serving potato chips with dips, olives, french cheeses & bread.

NYE will be risotto milanese then later, nibbles and fizz to see midnight. NYD will be a healthy breakfast and a lamb shoulder roast for the evening meal. On Sunday my effort to get dive fit starts in the hope that I will get a chance to bother some fish later in the year.

It must be 15 years since I saw midnight on 31st December.

And that night we also saw midnight in Greece (05:00 am here).

I'm going to make baked cheese balls stuffed with olives, spinach and vegetable dip with pumpernickel bread, sauerkraut balls, and lamb chops with asparagus for NYE dinner. NYD will probably be ham and beans (and black-eyed peas) soup with garlic bread and any leftover appetizers from the night before.

Dunno yet! We´re still discussing it, but If I get to go to Patel´s Indian Grocery tomorrow, we´ll be having some pakoras, samosas, mutthries. Maybe I´ll do patatas bravas and/or Papas a la Huancaina. My Thai- style tuna tartare perhaps...
My son has already hauled out a ginormous leg of pork (22 lbs!!) which he´s going to roast.
1st January is a Full English breakfast. Already bought the bangers - just missing fried bread, beans, mushrooms, eggs, bacon, YMCA potatoes - and a pint of IPA:drink::drink:

Keeping it really quiet this year, staying home with the Mrs. The menu is:
  • Rack of Lamb, glazed with my aunt's home made pepper jelly
  • Roast Garlic Mashed Potatoes
  • Salad (yawn)
Might have a few mixed drinks along with the meal (me, not the wifey) before saying goodbye to booze for "Dry January" to kick off the New Year's resolutions.

We three (DH, my Mother and I) have been invited to NYE early dinner at a lovely restaurant in town with our next door neighbors and some other friends. It'll be a party of 9 I believe. Then it's back to next door neighbor's home for coffee, dessert and games. I highly duobt that we'll be awake at midnight though, haven't seen that since before we were married!

I hadn't thought about NYD ... I'm kinda pooped out from Christmas Eve and Day, but I'll think about it. Maybe just appetizers, finger foods and bubbly.

Last edited:
I'm going to make baked cheese balls stuffed with olives, spinach and vegetable dip with pumpernickel bread, sauerkraut balls, and lamb chops with asparagus for NYE dinner. NYD will probably be ham and beans (and black-eyed peas) soup with garlic bread and any leftover appetizers from the night before.

So you will be doing black-eyed peas in Ohio, and I'll be eating pork and sauerkraut in Texas. We have our traditions mixed up.

CD

Back
Top Bottom