New Year's Eve/Day Eats & Drinks

So you will be doing black-eyed peas in Ohio, and I'll be eating pork and sauerkraut in Texas. We have our traditions mixed up.

CD
I have 0 German blood in me. Nada. Zip. But I will always be a southern girl at heart. I think your mom is from New Jersey, right? I am guessing she isn't Italian? My husband's dad was Italian and he for sure was not eating pork and sauerkraut on NYD. Hubby's mother is part German and she will do pork loin in NYD. I hate sauerkraut except the occasional sauerkraut balls, which I will make sometimes because hubby loves them and loves mine in particular. I have eaten them at restaurants and they aren't great IMO. Mine have corned beef, cream cheese, kraut, seasonings, then formed into balls, breaded and deep fried. He likes cocktail sauce with them (gag). I like them plain, but I usually can't eat more than 2-3. I will make a big batch and freeze them.

I have 0 German blood in me. Nada. Zip. But I will always be a southern girl at heart. I think your mom is from New Jersey, right? I am guessing she isn't Italian? My husband's dad was Italian and he for sure was not eating pork and sauerkraut on NYD. Hubby's mother is part German and she will do pork loin in NYD. I hate sauerkraut except the occasional sauerkraut balls, which I will make sometimes because hubby loves them and loves mine in particular. I have eaten them at restaurants and they aren't great IMO. Mine have corned beef, cream cheese, kraut, seasonings, then formed into balls, breaded and deep fried. He likes cocktail sauce with them (gag). I like them plain, but I usually can't eat more than 2-3. I will make a big batch and freeze them.

My parents are both from NJ/PA. Pork and sauerkraut was just what we had growing up. It seemed pretty common up there. I had never heard of the black-eyed peas tradition until I moved to Texas at age 13. My friends in Port Arthur had never heard of the pork and sauerkraut tradition.

I love sauerkraut on hot dogs and brats. It is good with pork butt and mashed potatoes, too. A little bit of all three in one bite is very nice.

CD

After looking over my food photos that I keep on file, I think NYD will start off with Eggs Benedict and then for dinner I'll make what I made last year, Fried Saimin, Teriyaki Chicken and My Quick Cucumber Kim Chee (or kimchi, whatever).
IMG_0150.JPG

And is out way in Hawaii, I share a portion with our neighbor.

My parents are both from NJ/PA. Pork and sauerkraut was just what we had growing up. It seemed pretty common up there. I had never heard of the black-eyed peas tradition until I moved to Texas at age 13. My friends in Port Arthur had never heard of the pork and sauerkraut tradition.

I love sauerkraut on hot dogs and brats. It is good with pork butt and mashed potatoes, too. A little bit of all three in one bite is very nice.

CD
Hubby's mom has served pork and sauerkraut on NYD every year. I tried it. YUCK. She actually cooked the pork loin with the sauerkraut on top of it so the juices run into it, ugh.

Hubby's mom has served pork and sauerkraut on NYD every year. I tried it. YUCK. She actually cooked the pork loin with the sauerkraut on top of it so the juices run into it, ugh.

Yeah, my mom cooks pork loin right in the sauerkraut, and for WAY too long. The pork turns out like shoe leather. I'm okay with the flavor -- I just wear out my jaw muscles trying to chew it.

I use pork shoulder/butt, and braise it low and slow. It melts in your mouth. I also cook the sauerkraut separately -- it doesn't need that much cooking time.

CD

Yeah, my mom cooks pork loin right in the sauerkraut, and for WAY too long. The pork turns out like shoe leather. I'm okay with the flavor -- I just wear out my jaw muscles trying to chew it.

I use pork shoulder/butt, and braise it low and slow. It melts in your mouth. I also cook the sauerkraut separately -- it doesn't need that much cooking time.

CD
Well I would chow down on your pork and completely skip the sauerkraut.

I cook them together. I also use pork shoulder, not loin (though I've used loin). The kraut gets treated with apples and onion, a little brown sugar, juniper berries, some wine...all cooked in that.

Once it's done, the pork gets not-quite-shredded, but definitely separated out, then mixed in with the kraut, and served over mashed potatoes, with some of the juices from the pork and sauerkraut.

That's how me grannie did it, so that's how I do it.

I can't care for `kraut from a jar or can, but homemade fermented stuff is tasty.
Note to self: experiment with fermenting your own Sauerkraut!
The stuff in the jar has been pasteurized and loses the benefits of being fermented and much of it's nutritional value.

Back
Top Bottom