New Year's Eve/Day Eats & Drinks

I expect we'll have a KFC on NYE with a nice bottle of champagne 🍾 (hubby loves KFC...but we only have it a couple of times a year). We'll have more bubbly later on to see in the new year, along with some nibbles.

New Year's Day I'll be boiling a gammon, which will be served with potato dauphinoise and veg. Nice and simple and easy to prepare.

DIL came back from a whole day´s shopping today with PILES of food.She´s already planned out what we´re going to eat for the next week.:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:...and bless her heart, that doesn´t really go down well with me, because I hate knowing what I´m going to eat next Thursday for breakfast.
The entire family is also carnivorous,which I´m not, so I may have to work on Plan B:eek:
I´m going to a local Indian Grocery tomorrow (Patel´s) and might just come up with something wierd and wonderful.
If all else fails, there´s a Dominos down the road:D:D

DIL came back from a whole day´s shopping today with PILES of food.She´s already planned out what we´re going to eat for the next week.:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:...and bless her heart, that doesn´t really go down well with me, because I hate knowing what I´m going to eat next Thursday for breakfast.
The entire family is also carnivorous,which I´m not, so I may have to work on Plan B:eek:
I´m going to a local Indian Grocery tomorrow (Patel´s) and might just come up with something wierd and wonderful.
If all else fails, there´s a Dominos down the road:D:D

Gotta' go to the Indian Grocery to stock up on British food. :okay::laugh:

CD

I can't care for `kraut from a jar or can, but homemade fermented stuff is tasty.
Note to self: experiment with fermenting your own Sauerkraut!
I use sauerkraut made in the Alsace, a French region influenced by Germany. It's made with white wine (Riesling) and gorgeous. It's widely available in the Netherlands too. It's sold in vacuum packs, and really good!

There are more than 20 varieties of sauerkraut here. I am sure people who dislike it have only had plain sauerkraut.

Alsatian's sauerkraut: recipe, english aftouch-cuisine

This thread is a good inspiration, have not thought about Nye food yet.

I have some unopened pancetta that I bought for chicken breast filled with pancetta that my boyfriend was going to teach me/cook together...I don't know if that will be on Nye or any other day.

I would love some soup. Perhaps Schnitzel, mashed potatoes, lettuce, 'french' salad is very common around these holidays here, very mayonnaisy, I will reflect...

No alcohol whatsoever, we are dizzy enough without it...probably my lovely green tea mint jasmin orange blossom...

Tomorrow will be nothing different from any other friday night round here.
But we had friends round yesterday starting with lunch:
Bottle # 1 - 2018 Court Garden Classic Cuvée, England; salted almonds
Bottle # 2 - NV Nyetimber Classic Cuvée, England; Cheese Soufflé with Creamy Leek Sauce

Bottle # 3 - 2018 Domaine Gerbeaux Pouilly Fuissé, France; Smoked Salmon & Herb Roulade
DSCN1601.JPG

Bottle # 4 - 2014 Cantina de Negrar Recioto della Valpolicella Classico, Italy; Tiramisu; (disappointing presentation, heyho)
DSCN1603.JPG

A few hours later:
Bottle # 5 - NV Nyetimber Rosé, England; Baked Salmon & Leek Tartlets, Baked Brie & Cranberry Filo Tarts; (the most appalling overpriced wine I've had the misfortune to drink in many a year, do not spend good money on this; the other 3 drinkers also found it less than disappointing)

Bottle # 6 - 2013 Nyetimber Blanc de Blancs, England; Baked Camembert Wedges, Baked Smoked Salmon en Croutes

And a good time was had by all.

My wife, who's more German than I am, (and I'm German enough) grew up with homemade kraut, but they never did anything to fix it up (meaning draining and rinsing it, then adding back onions, apples, wine, etc), which always seemed odd to me.

Have tried sourkraut on many occasions, haven't acquired the taste. Apparently I have German ancestry, just wish I had the time and means to research.

NYE - there was a time when we went to house parties or dinner at a favorite restaurant. We have not done that for years. I suggested rack of lamb or seared scallops for dinner tonight. My Husband (did you catch that?) likes bubbly and finger food. I will put together an over-the-top charcuterie, cheese board with assorted fruit, jams, crackers and other nibbles. A huge amount of food for two people. Not a problem. My family will enjoy the nibbles tomorrow.
I don't remember the last time I stayed awake until midnight.
NYD middle sister decided to prepare a mid-day meal. Ham, black eye peas and cabbage. Cabbage is for prosperity; black eye peas are for health and ham is for luck.
I will bring a Buttermilk Pecan Pie, Goat's Cheese Crostini with Tomato Confit and all of the left-over nibbles from NYE.
Wishing you all a blessed, prosperous and healthy New Year.

NYE - there was a time when we went to house parties or dinner at a favorite restaurant. We have not done that for years. I suggested rack of lamb or seared scallops for dinner tonight. My Husband (did you catch that?) likes bubbly and finger food. I will put together an over-the-top charcuterie, cheese board with assorted fruit, jams, crackers and other nibbles. A huge amount of food for two people. Not a problem. My family will enjoy the nibbles tomorrow.
NYD middle sister decided to prepare a mid-day meal. Ham, black eye peas and cabbage. Cabbage is for prosperity; black eye peas are for health and ham is for luck.
I will bring a Buttermilk Pecan Pie, Goat's Cheese Crostini with Tomato Confit and all of the left-over nibbles from NYE.
Wishing you and your husband! A happy new year.

Happy New Year to you and your husband :cheers:

Back
Top Bottom