Nigella's Tuscan Chips (Fries)

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:27 PM
Has anyone tried making Nigella's Tuscan Chips (Fries). I'm asking because its such a curious recipe. And I was reminded of @Elawin's thread Do you preheat your oven? In this case, its 'do you pre-heat the oil?' In this recipe, you put the potato in room temperature oil and then heat to fry the chips. You add garlic and herbs towards the end of cooking. The part I'm interested in is the cooking in oil from room temperature. Have you tried it? Anyone want to have a go? I will, if you will! Recipe here.

tuscan_fries_61356_16x9.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how this differs from making oven chips, i.e. coating in cold oil before baking them - which is also a lot easier. I make oven chips every now and then and find them quite good. (I don't deep fry else, being a crispaholic, I would never be able to get through a door!)

Call me greedy but a baking sheet provides a wider surface area than a frying pan, i.e. more chips! :hungry:

One little trick I have started using the last few years is microwaving the raw, cut potatoes first. I place them in a glass bowl and cover them tightly with plastic wrap. Give them about 3 minutes on high just to get them warmed through. Then, I drain them and place them on the hot, preheated oil...they cook much quicker in the oven and even seem to crisp up better....

The whole concept is against everything I've learnt and been taught (up to now, anyway). They even look revolting to me. Perhaps I'm too old for new tricks?

Has anyone tried making Nigella's Tuscan Chips (Fries). I'm asking because its such a curious recipe. And I was reminded of @Elawin's thread Do you preheat your oven? In this case, its 'do you pre-heat the oil?' In this recipe, you put the potato in room temperature oil and then heat to fry the chips. You add garlic and herbs towards the end of cooking. The part I'm interested in is the cooking in oil from room temperature. Have you tried it? Anyone want to have a go? I will, if you will! Recipe here.

View attachment 6156

I'm a little bit doubtfully. To spice fries pass them in a chopped rosemary, sage and chives (or garlic) and mixed with salt...but out from the pan. That's the tuscan recipe.. it should be try..

Oh and which are the waxy potatoes?

Waxy potatoes are the opposite of floury potatoes. They hold their shape and don't disintegrate even if you cook them a long time. But you are on to something here. Traditionally in the UK chips are made from floury potatoes such as Maris Pipe (you no doubt have other varieties in America), the aim being to achieve a crisp exterior and soft fluffy middle.

I suspect if floury potatoes were used in this recipe they would go soggy and possibly not crisp up.

Waxy potatoes are the opposite of floury potatoes. They hold their shape and don't disintegrate even if you cook them a long time. But you are on to something here. Traditionally in the UK chips are made from floury potatoes such as Maris Pipe (you no doubt have other varieties in America), the aim being to achieve a crisp exterior and soft fluffy middle.

I suspect if floury potatoes were used in this recipe they would go soggy and possibly not crisp up.
Speak English.
We do not have floury potatoes.
We have russets and Yukon and red and yellow potatoes.

Speak English.
We do not have floury potatoes.
We have russets and Yukon and red and yellow potatoes.

I'm using a descriptive term - it means that when they are cooked they go floury (or mealy if you prefer) in texture; perfect for mashing. In fact, if you cook then longer than normal they literally disintegrate into the water. The waxy types stay intact. So I can only ask whether any of the potatoes you mention disintegrate like that.?

I'm using a descriptive term - it means that when they are cooked they go floury (or mealy if you prefer) in texture; perfect for mashing. In fact, if you cook then longer than normal they literally disintegrate into the water. The waxy types stay intact. So I can only ask whether any of the potatoes you mention disintegrate like that.?
Ok so I need the Yukon or yellow or red.
Mashed potatoes are made from russets.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom