No olives please

zuludog

Veteran
Local time
4:43 AM
I've known the basics of a Mediterranean Diet for ages, but thought I'd get into it more

I have a few recipes in general cookery books, but I've also bought a recipe book (BBC 101 Mediterranean Dishes), and I'm more or less ready to start - but I have a problem

I don't like olives!
I don't like the sour taste. I can just about stomach one that's been sliced fine in a salad so that the taste is diluted, but even so I can't help thinking 'why should I make myself eat something I don't enjoy?'

So, can you think of an way to stop them being so awful; or a substitute; or perhaps I'll just leave them out?

I've known the basics of a Mediterranean Diet for ages, but thought I'd get into it more

I have a few recipes in general cookery books, but I've also bought a recipe book (BBC 101 Mediterranean Dishes), and I'm more or less ready to start - but I have a problem

I don't like olives!
I don't like the sour taste. I can just about stomach one that's been sliced fine in a salad so that the taste is diluted, but even so I can't help thinking 'why should I make myself eat something I don't enjoy?'

So, can you think of an way to stop them being so awful; or a substitute; or perhaps I'll just leave them out?

Olives are not awful, at least you don't like them.
As you know, knowing well the basics of the Mediterranean diet, olives have different varieties in various shapes, tastes,condiments (to name just a couple, and I mean the Italian ones, Gaeta olives and Taggiasche olives), but if you do not like them, why force yourself to do it?

As @MypinchofItaly says there are many different varieties of olives. It may be that you will prefer a milder green olive to black olives. But really, there is no need to include them in a Med. diet. Its more important to have olive oil than the olives themselves, really.

Replacing the olives or omitting them, will change the flavor of the dish, in my opinion. You will lose the marriage of and combination of Mediterranean flavors, like Feta cheese, sweet juicy tomatoes, onions, etc. We have an olive bar at the local market. As mentioned, you could try a variety and see if there is one you like. Or, you might try a different diet. I like theMediterraneandish.com. There are lots of great recipes.

I don't like olives!

I used to dislike olives until I went to a Turkish restaurant and tasted quality, I prefer black olives though, kalamata I believe some are called, lovely :thumbsup:

I don't like olives either (can't stand them actually - and I've tried lots of different types). My solution is to just leave them out :okay:
Yes, leaving them out definitely changes the flavour of the dish....for the better (in my opinion) :p: I see no point in forcing myself to eat something that I don't enjoy the flavour of, just because its traditionally included. I do the same if there's a recipe with nuts in it, or coffee.

I don't like olives either (can't stand them actually - and I've tried lots of different types). My solution is to just leave them out :okay:
Yes, leaving them out definitely changes the flavour of the dish....for the better (in my opinion) :p: I see no point in forcing myself to eat something that I don't enjoy the flavour of, just because its traditionally included. I do the same if there's a recipe with nuts in it, or coffee.

Agreed. However, when you buy a cookbook or two with the intention of following a specific cuisine and diet, olives are a big part of same. That's why I suggested choosing another diet. I also don't eat what I don't like, that's why several people including myself suggested trying a few different variations. I'll be a big girl, and won't stick my tongue out at you.

I must admit that I only like some olives and then only in small amounts. I think there are quite a few people who dislike them - so much so that I wonder if its a genetic thing like coriander (leaves) tasting soapy to some people. There certainly can be a bitterness to some olives and often they taste over salted to me.

I do like olives marinated in lemon peel/zest and garlic though!

... quite agree with @Karen W though, that they are wonderful in certain combinations with other ingredients - particularly tomatoes, cucumber, feta - also cooked in slow cooks or bakes with chicken or fish. Slow cooked squid with tomatoes and olives... :hungry:

Agreed. However, when you buy a cookbook or two with the intention of following a specific cuisine and diet, olives are a big part of same.That's why I suggested choosing another diet.
I certainly wouldn't change a whole diet based on a dislike for one particular ingredient - that seems a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face. There are plenty of Mediterranean dishes that don't include olives, or ones where the olives can easily be omitted. I've visited many countries around the Mediterranean, and eaten lots of delicious food, all without having to consume olives.

I prefer black olives though, kalamata I believe some are called, lovely :thumbsup:

I completely agree with you @Lullabelle … Kalamata olives are fantastic. I used to buy them in London in the 1980s, but I haven't seen them since.

I love all sorts of olives - black, green and any other colour - and I feel sorry for those who can't enjoy them.

On the very rare occasions when I order a pizza, it will be either the vegetable pizza or with olives, mushrooms and onions. Once in awhile, the olives don't taste good - tinny or off. Maybe they are using canned olives.

I must admit that I only like some olives and then only in small amounts. I think there are quite a few people who dislike them - so much so that I wonder if its a genetic thing like coriander (leaves) tasting soapy to some people. There certainly can be a bitterness to some olives and often they taste over salted to me.

I do like olives marinated in lemon peel/zest and garlic though!

I have had some very salty ones before now, didn't realise how salty until it dawned on me how much I was drinking compared to normal, still lovely though :thumbsup:

I love coriander, the smell alone makes me smile :happy:

Thanks for your replies, this is what I'm going to do

As stated there are a lot of recipes that don't have olives, I'll use those

I'll try a few olives again in salads If I find that I still don't like them, I'll just leave them out in future
I see there are some recipes that use olives in cooked dishes; perhaps that will lessen or dissipate the taste sufficiently, but again, if I still don't like them I'll leave them out

And if that means that things are no longer authentic, well that's my choice

Thanks for your replies, this is what I'm going to do

As stated there are a lot of recipes that don't have olives, I'll use those

I'll try a few olives again in salads If I find that I still don't like them, I'll just leave them out in future
I see there are some recipes that use olives in cooked dishes; perhaps that will lessen or dissipate the taste sufficiently, but again, if I still don't like them I'll leave them out

And if that means that things are no longer authentic, well that's my choice

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom