no wheat, no dairy, only natural sugar potluck ideas

tina122321

Über Member
Local time
7:43 PM
I can't have wheat or dairy and only natural sugar. This makes going to potlucks and things difficult because I have very little in the way of easy to prepare foods that other people actually want. Any ideas?

I can't have wheat or dairy and only natural sugar. This makes going to potlucks and things difficult because I have very little in the way of easy to prepare foods that other people actually want. Any ideas?
Why is it you can't eat wheat or dairy? Just curious. I'd have thought the potluck would have been more of a problem for you, as you wouldn't be able to eat the dishes brought by other people. But there are so many dishes which don't contain wheat or dairy, I find it hard to know where to begin... any kind of soup or stew containing meat and/or vegetables for example... a fruit salad for dessert... seafood for a starter... a main course chicken salad; vegetable curry or veggie burgers...

I'm allergic to dairy, an in anaphylactic shock allergic, so eating anything anyone has prepared for me is a nightmare. My mother-in-law checks, my mother bales... Eating out is difficult to say the least, so we have learnt tricks.

1. If there is no chance, eat something before you go so you are not hungry
2. Prepare a couple of dishes you can take with you, enough for several people to try and you to eat.
3. Always have a snack you can eat in the car (so there is something to hand) for the journey home.

That's all I can offer, sorry.

I can also say that this chocolate cake is vegan, Gluten free and delicious
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/chocolate-olive-oil-cake-wheat-free-dairy-free.3250/

And I also have a cheesecake that is vegan, dairy free, Gluten free...
http://nouveauraw.com/raw-recipies/desserts/deep-dark-chocolate-blackberry-cheesecake/
I'm sure I have the recipe on CB somewhere but...

Also quite a few recipes from here will meet your requirements, especially as you easy only wheat free, not gluten free. https://www.cookingbites.com/tags/vegan/

Last edited:
Something like a pasta salad can easily be made with rice pasta and vegan mayo, for example. I'm not vegan, dairy intolerant, nor do I need to exclude wheat from my diet, and I would gladly eat a pasta salad made with those two ingredients. In fact, I probably wouldn't even have known they were used had you not told me. I actually prefer vegan mayo over the traditional stuff in some dishes, because it has a milder, creamier taste to it.

Hummus is always popular, and you can certainly embellish upon it with stuff like roasted red peppers, olives, etc... and serve it with a crudite platter of veggies.

Or what about lettuce wraps - similar to what you would find at P.F. Changs? Kikkoman makes a line of gluten free soy sauces.

If you know of a dairy free vanilla yogurt that works for you, this would work great.

Cranberry Waldorf Salad
Servings 8

Ingredients

1 ½ cups chopped cranberries
1 cup chopped red apple
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
1/3 cup raisins
¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
2 tablespoons white sugar (I omit this)
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
8 ounces low fat vanilla yogurt
Cranberry Waldorf.jpg

Directions:

1. Prepare cranberries in a food processor or mini prep bowl, by pulsing a few times.

2. In a medium bowl, combine cranberries, apple, celery, grapes, raisins, walnuts, sugar, cinnamon, and yogurt. (I chop cranberries in a food processor, and it works great). Toss to coat. Cover, and chill 2 hours. Stir just before serving.

White Bean & Tomato Salad. (Strange I know but this actually starts to taste like a potato salad) but safe for outdoors. everyone I have shared this with LOVES it!

Pillsbury Great GrillingWhite Bean and Tomato Salad.JPG
Servings 4 (1/2 cup)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable oil
2 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
¼ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper (or to taste)
1 medium tomato, chopped (about ½ cup)
¼ cup sliced green onions
1 (15.5 oz.) can Cannellini or great northern beans, rinsed and drained

Directions

1. In medium bowl, combine oil, vinegar, salt and pepper; blend well. Add tomato, onions, and beans; stir gently until well mixed.

Calories 120 Fat 4g Sodium 230mg Fiber 5g Carbs. 16g Sugars 1g

here is anther bean salad that is Wonderful. Let it set at least a few hours, and is even better overnight.

Tex-Mex Black Bean Salad
Servings 12

Ingredients

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 can whole kernel corn, rinsed and drained, or 10oz. frozen corn thawed
1 red bell pepper, diced (yellow and or orange will work just fine)
1 green bell pepper, diced
¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, diced
½ cup olive oil, canola oil, or what ever your favorite oil is
½ cup red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 dashes hot sauce
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime

Directions:

1. In a large bowl, combine beans, bell peppers, corn, and onion.

2. In a small bowl whisk together all other ingredients until well combined.

3. Pour dressing over bean mixture and mix well. Store in refrigerator for at least 1 hour before serving.

Rice salads are usually popular at buffets. Especially when they're different to the usual ones people bring. Added peanuts, mixed in at the last minute, go down well.

Hi, I agree with SatNavSaysStraightOn about a plan. I'm allergic to gluten, corn, and dairy. I tell everyone it's because when gluten free first became a buzz word and everyone wanted gluten free, I thought it was crazy and it was just a fad. Karma can be interesting to say the least. It is much better to be safe than sick.

Back
Top Bottom