Non Alchohol Beer.

I´ve just had a thought (a pretty rare occasion these days, but hey, gotta share it).
What is the target market for non-alcoholic beer? Is it
  • people who used to drink beer but can´t anymore
  • people who, for religious or health reasons, can´t drink normal beer
  • people who believe that non-alcoholic beer is less fattening
  • people who don´t enjoy getting drunk
  • people who think it´s trendy to drink non-alcoholic drinks
Whaddya think?

For me, it is medical issues. But, getting a DUI these days can really mess up your finances, and chunks of your life in general. The limits have gotten lower, and the punishments more severe.

CD

I’m losing weight because I quit drinking. I rarely drink a NA beer as well. Just kinda fun trying some of the various option.
now I have a big glass of ice water with me all the time.

thanks for some options to look out for.

I think when my wife had to stop drinking for a while, she settled on Kaliber, and that’s not too difficult to track down.

I have terrible memories of Kaliber "beer" after a couple of months in alcohol restricted Qatar in the early 90s.

Many years ago, I decided to quit drinking. The problem? I think O'Doul's was the only NA beer available.

But, I was an active home brewer at the time who enjoyed making virtually everything. This seemed like problem at first, but it turned into the solution: I decided to start making my own NA beer. Because I was making it, I could make any style I wanted, and not just the stripped-down version of already stripped-down lagers.

The only way I could figure to remove the alcohol was to boil it off. After 2 weeks fermenting in the carboy, I put the fermented beer back in the pot on the stove, and cooked it for a while on low heat. This boiled off the alcohol. At the time, I worked out a formula to figure out how much I was boiling off, compared to how much I calculated the alcohol would have been for that beer recipe.

Then, I would bottle the beer. Surprisingly, there was still carbonation...that forms in the bottle as yeast consumes the sugars. Not as much as it would have been otherwise, but I was happy that I wasn't getting flat beer.

I made mostly stouts and porters this way. The "roasting" effect of cooking off the alcohol from a lager gave the beer an odd taste, whereas there was not detectable impact on the roasted notes in stouts and porters.

I have to do some digging to find it, but I can post NA beer recipes if that's helpful.

Hey...I just found this

The 10 Best Nonalcoholic Beers to Drink in 2022

Some of the beers look really good, particularly this one:

81H3qi9rygL._SL1500_-b589a925d7f54896a0e00b7303405bc2.jpg

why would anyone drink a sugar free soda? this is one of those things that you do exactly you. no judgements.

but back to soda. i dont drink ANY soda. i simply dont like any of it, but i would venture a guess that NOBODY has asked anyone drinking a diet pepsi, "so what, pre-diabetic?" but bring up NA beer and you get lots of opinions :D hahahha.

why would anyone drink a sugar free soda? this is one of those things that you do exactly you. no judgements.

but back to soda. i dont drink ANY soda. i simply dont like any of it, but i would venture a guess that NOBODY has asked anyone drinking a diet pepsi, "so what, pre-diabetic?" but bring up NA beer and you get lots of opinions :D hahahha.

I can't drink alcohol because of liver disease. It is a genetic thing, but drinking alcohol didn't help. I've never noticed any "judgement" vibes from people for drinking zero alcohol beer, but most people seem to think there is no point in drinking beer without the alcohol buzz that comes with it.

Personally, pizza night just isn't right without a cold beer, and my Bud Zero is good enough to satisfy that need. It is also nice when I'm at a bar with friends. If I drink iced tea all evening, I won't sleep for days (caffeine). Same with soft drinks (sugar/caffeine).

Bud Zero is also just fine for cooking where I previously used regular beer.

CD

Last week I went to do some chores in town and suddenly got really, really hungry. I wandered into an "Italian" place. The food was below average, but the Peroni 0% alcohol beer was actually quite acceptable.
And I absolutely LOVE beer.

I haven't seen Peroni 0% here. I like Peroni.

CD

Bud Zero is also just fine for cooking where I previously used regular beer.

CD
That makes perfect sense since the alcohol gets cooked out anyway, so the flavor profile would be the same. But if you have Bud Zero on hand it wouldn't make sense to buy the full octane stuff.

That makes perfect sense since the alcohol gets cooked out anyway, so the flavor profile would be the same. But if you have Bud Zero on hand it wouldn't make sense to buy the full octane stuff.

Actually, the alcohol does NOT get completely cooked out.

"The longer you cook, the more alcohol cooks out, but you have to cook food for about 3 hours to fully erase all traces of alcohol. A study from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Data lab confirmed this and added that food baked or simmered in alcohol for 15 minutes still retains 40 percent of the alcohol. After an hour of cooking, 25 percent of the alcohol remains, and even after two and a half hours there's still 5 percent of it. In fact, some cooking methods are less effective at removing alcohol than simply letting food stand out overnight uncovered." -- FoodNetwork

CD

Actually, the alcohol does NOT get completely cooked out.

"The longer you cook, the more alcohol cooks out, but you have to cook food for about 3 hours to fully erase all traces of alcohol. A study from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Nutrient Data lab confirmed this and added that food baked or simmered in alcohol for 15 minutes still retains 40 percent of the alcohol. After an hour of cooking, 25 percent of the alcohol remains, and even after two and a half hours there's still 5 percent of it. In fact, some cooking methods are less effective at removing alcohol than simply letting food stand out overnight uncovered." -- FoodNetwork

CD
Having no idea how you are using it, I couldn't say much about it other than I think that most beer is about 5% alcohol by volume?

When I cook with alcohol it's wine (about 12%) and it's always a wine reduction that I tend to cook for about an hour (for a seafood pasta dish, for example), and I am generally using about 1/2 cup of wine. When I am making a red tomato-based pasta sauce, it's cooking in my crockpot for a couple of days so I am guessing it's evaporated when we finally eat it!

I have in the past made a beer batter for frying seafood, but I didn't use that much beer. I know I didn't get tipsy from eating it, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom