Novice Gardener

4A871A2F-BA6D-4DD0-8DAE-251013DF8789.jpeg
How wonderful - you are dong incredibly well for a novice!
Beginners luck I think! Becoming obsessed with my potatoes though.

image.jpg
Well potatoes are grown but not ready for harvesting. Herbs are doing well. Courgette and squash about to be planted outside in the raised beds. Radish growing, beetroot popping up. Tomatoes and cucumber in the glasshouse. Fennel, carrots and cabbage in.

Last but not least sweetpeas so that I have lovely scented flowers for the house.

Yes you are doing well, wife pulled up Beetroot for me to bottle. Only 2 jars but better than nothing.

Russ

Growing veggies, however few is always a thrill. I have grown sweet potato, some dill and potatoes. The first time I grew sweet potatoes I was blown away by the pretty leaves. As I read about them, I realized they are also used as an ornamental plant by some.

For the first time I’m growing vegetables. This is more an attempt to manage my stress levels and auto immune disorder than anything else. I’m ridiculous excited about my potatoes - which seem to be growing!

Good for you! Having a garden is a good distraction from everyday problems. It also provides a lot of satisfaction when you get to eat something you grew yourself.

Obviously gardening in North Texas is a wee bit different from gardening in Wales. But one thing you will learn over time is what grows easily in your garden, and what doesn't. My own philosophy is if a certain plant requires me to work too hard, it isn't fun anymore, so I don't grow it again. I grow mostly peppers and herbs. They are pretty easy to grow where I live.

So, enjoy your garden! Don't let it become "work."

Back
Top Bottom