The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
7:02 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com
c892079e-f857-4293-86fe-567327fd9bc8-jpeg.jpg

I made this using a bit of a shortcut. I didn't have plain oats handy, so I used instant oatmeal mix. I've done this before, and there doesn't seem to be any real downside. The instant oatmeal was a chocolate chip oatmeal that I mainly got for my kids. I estimated the amount of chocolate chips you'd need to use if using regular oats.

Using tablespoon-sized scoops, this recipe makes 60 cookies.

Ingredients

1 1/2 cups (190g) all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks; 230g) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
1 cup (200g) packed light or dark brown sugar
1/2 cup (100g) granulated sugar
2 large eggs, at room temperature
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3 cups (240g) old-fashioned whole rolled oats
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup raisins

Directions
  1. Whisk the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a large bowl using a power mixer, mix the butter, about 1 minute. Add the sugars and mix until creamed, about 2 minutes. Add the eggs, molasses, and vanilla and mix until combined, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and as needed to combine.
  3. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until combined. Mix in the oats, chocolate chips, and raisins.
  4. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
  5. Scoop about 1 tablespoon of dough per cookie, and place directly on the baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned on the sides.
  6. Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Last edited:
I have amended the recipe. I used honey instead of molasses. I normally would have used molasses, but I didn’t have any. And, it worked out really well. It had a floral sort of flavor to it. I think the thing I love about molasses is already contained in brown sugar. I will definitely make it this way again.

I have amended the recipe. I used honey instead of molasses. I normally would have used molasses, but I didn’t have any. And, it worked out really well. It had a floral sort of flavor to it. I think the thing I love about molasses is already contained in brown sugar. I will definitely make it this way again.

Brown sugar does have molasses in it, so you get some of that flavor.

CD

Back
Top Bottom