One food picture, one food story

Tasteofspain_uk

Local time
4:22 PM
Website
tasteofspain.uk
Hi there!

I have been wondering this idea all over the week and I am finally bringing it over here.

I think it would be funny to discover what is hidden behind the food we cook. So I would like to invite you to play a game with the following rules:

1. You must post a picture of something you have cooked, no matter when
2. You must tell a story related to that dish (a personal experience, a fact, its origin...)

So, let's play?

So let me break the ice with a dish I cooked last Sunday: SEAFOOD FIDEUA

The dish is original from Gandía, a Mediterranean coastal city near Valencia, and was cooked for first time by the fishermen crew of a ship named Santa Isabel. One day, these people wanted Paella for lunch, but when everything was ready they realized that had forgotten the rice at the harbour. The way they amend it? Using vermicelli pasta instead. In Spain, this type of pasta is used in many soups and broths.

Traditional recipe would include langoustines, monkfish and cuttlefish. Mine, however, is fully loaded. I have recently discovered that I can prepare the true Gandía fideua here in Oxford so I will make it one day. Promised.

This salad I made in December, one of the rare food photos before joining CB...is lovely, but so simple, too simple to qualify?
At any rate...the olives are a love that I can trace back to my Grandma and the beautiful summer vacations in Bulgaria, where olives are a daily ingredient, and there are so many sorts out there, more than 20 in offer...

This salad I made in December, one of the rare food photos before joining CB...is lovely, but so simple, too simple to qualify?
At any rate...the olives are a love that I can trace back to my Grandma and the beautiful summer vacations in Bulgaria, where olives are a daily ingredient, and there are so many sorts out there, more than 20 in offer...

There is no such thing as simplicity or complexity to qualify for this thread. All sorts of posts are welcome :thumbsup:

On another note, I would eat your salad. I have loved and felt so identified with your comment. My family is from a Spanish region where olives are absolutely everywhere so the connections with my grandparents are also present.

There is no such thing as simplicity or complexity to qualify for this thread. All sorts of posts are welcome :thumbsup:

On another note, I would eat your salad. I have loved and felt so identified with your comment. My family is from a Spanish region where olives are absolutely everywhere so the connections with my grandparents are also present.
Oh that is so kind! How fascinating, glad to have heard it!😊👍

Korma curry with rice and pisang goreng (fried banana's).

The picture isn't that great, but this is when I just started taking pics of my food. I made this in the first week me and my husband went to live together, this was my favorite meal at the time. I'm partially of Indonesian descent, so I love all kinds of Asian food and my husband loves Asian foods though his roots are 100% Dutch.

We made this the first weekend we lived together, to celebrate that we finally shared a home. It still is one of my favorite meals that I repeat once in a while, members here have seen it a couple of times in different forms. And my husband and I almost always celebrate our anniversary or other holidays by eating some form of Indonesian or Asian food.

Back in the summer of 2020, while others were dabbling in homemade bread and sourdough experiments, I was hit by an ice-cream making frenzy. This one here is ice-cream coconut made with fresh coconut that I peeled and grated myself. For those who've never peeled a fresh coconut, let me explain it's an arduous task, involving hammering and hitting the coconut repeatedly. Before I got the ice-cream in the freezer, it tasted deliciously. When I got it out of the freezer the next day, I realized I forgot to properly stabilize the ice-cream (I usually use guar gum and xantham gun but I forgot to add them) sot his ice-cream was rock solid! I had to put it in the trash!
169310152_123704149731929_1740851663592183276_n.jpg

Back in the summer of 2020, while others were dabbling in homemade bread and sourdough experiments, I was hit by an ice-cream making frenzy. This one here is ice-cream coconut made with fresh coconut that I peeled and grated myself. For those who've never peeled a fresh coconut, let me explain it's an arduous task, involving hammering and hitting the coconut repeatedly. Before I got the ice-cream in the freezer, it tasted deliciously. When I got it out of the freezer the next day, I realized I forgot to properly stabilize the ice-cream (I usually use guar gum and xantham gun but I forgot to add them) sot his ice-cream was rock solid! I had to put it in the trash!
View attachment 60553
Poor you. That was a lot of work going to waste!

Allow me please to keep this thread up with a very special one: Ochíos

These bread buns are exclusively from my dad's hometown. Believe me when I say this because if you ever travel to Spain you will not find them anywhere else.

During summer, I used to spend a long time with my grandparents and they would make me snacks with them. Basically, you fill them with any kind of cheese, tuna or deli stuff. Simply delicious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's one of my favorite dishes that I got from my mother..I remember eating it growing up and always loved it..she was great at making good meals with little ingredients because we didn't have a lot of money..She called it Ragu...now, it's not a true ragu but I guess she had to call it something and we didn't know any better...she would use left over roast beef, cut it up and fry it up with onions...after it browned and created a nice fond, she would add water or beef broth and simmer it ....then she would add cooked pasta to it and let it finish in the pan..I used to load it with black pepper..I have modified the recipe over the years and now add garlic, thyme, or sometimes a bouquet garni, and mushrooms if I have some in the fridge. I add more liquid than she did and drain and add my pasta well before it is al dente and let it simmer in the broth for about 5 minutes. The pasta releases some startchand the sauce, or broth, gets very rich and beefy...It is the ultimate comfort food and I look forward to leftovers more than the initial meal...

Here is another time I made it with hand made pasta..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom