8) Half N Half - 1/4 Cup
9) Unbleached Flour - as required
10) Red Pepper Flakes - 1 Tsblspn.
11) Anise Seeds - 2 to 3 Tblspns.
12) Caraway Seeds - 1 Tblspn.
13) Olive Oil - as required
14) Parchment Paper - 1 medium sheet

Procedure:

ALERT: Since hands will come in contact with fatty Meat, have a wet cloth and a bowl of Water handy to rinse off the hands and utensils.

1) Dice Garlic and 2 to 3 slices of a Purple Onion.
2) Finely Chop the Dried Mango and Papaya into bits.

DicedDriedMangoPapaya.jpg

3) Soak the Mango and Papaya bits in a shallow bowl of Water.

NOTE: Do not add excess water, only enough to touch to top of the level spread of Papaya and Mango.

4) Cross cut a 1" thick slice of Purple Onion.
5) Microwave the 1" slice for about 2-1/2 minutes to soften it.

NOTE: Drip a small amount of Water over the top of the Onion Slice before microwaving it.

MicrowaveSoftenedPurpleOnion.jpg

6) Mix Ground Beef, Ground Pork, Red Pepper, Anise and Caraway Seeds.
7) Knead in 1/2 of the diced Onion and Garlic.
8) Form the mixed Meat into 1 to 1-1/2" Meatballs.
9) Roll each Meatball in Granola on Parchment Paper.

NOTE: Any Granola left on the paper can be added to the Gravy later.

10) Wrap each Meatball in softened Purple Onion and place baking pan.

NOTE: Add a small amount of Water in the bottom of the baking pan.

OnionWrappedBreadedMeatballs01.jpg

11) Bake at 325F on the lower rack of the oven for 20 minutes.
12) Carefully spoon each Meatball into a separate baking dish.

NOTE: While making Gravy, keep the Meatballs warmed.

13) Pour the fats off into a sauce pan.
14) Add Half N Half, Spices and the remaining diced Garlic and Onion.
15) Mix with the Fats in the baking dish.
16) Add Flour, Papaya and Mango bits and Mix them in.
17) Heat on low heat, stirring occasionally.

NOTE: Add in any Granola left from coating the Meatballs.

NOTE: Simmer until the Onion and Garlic in the gravy softens.

18) Carefully spoon the Meatballs onto a serving plate.
19) Cover the Meatballs with Gravy.
20) Serve.

I like the idea of wrapping the meatballs in onion like this and the purple onion looks pretty. I love the use of peeper flakes, anise and caraway with the pork and beef.

I'm not so convinced by the gravy. Its certainly unusual but I'm uncertain how such sweet ingredients in a creamy sauce work with the spicy meatballs.

Question:
Why are they called 'breaded meatballs' when there is no bread in the recipe? I note the meatballs are coated in granola. Is this granola with sugar added?

I like the idea of wrapping the meatballs in onion like this and the purple onion looks pretty. I love the use of peeper flakes, anise and caraway with the pork and beef.
I have found long ago, that Pork and Beef make a good combo. Anise and Caraway with pepper flakes promote a flavor that is often found in some sausages, but rarely elsewhere. I like to spice the Pork and Beef combo with these spices.
I'm not so convinced by the gravy. Its certainly unusual but I'm uncertain how such sweet ingredients in a creamy sauce work with the spicy meatballs.
When you consider the use of dried Mango and Papaya in this Gravy, you should consider things like the use of Pineapple on Ham, Raisins in Steak Sauces and even Tomato (which is a Fruit). These are the things that inspired me to use Mango and Papaya. You don't want to do too much Mango and Papaya, only enough to give it a ring. The Gravy was excellent in flavor and I would make this again, for myself.

Another interesting Gravy I made in this challenge, used Cucumber and Radishes which admittedly, are not Fruits. That was with Lamb Steak with Pearl Onions and Mushrooms. That unusual combination in a Gravy turned out very well and was inspired by Tzatziki Sauce in Greek Cuisine. The aroma from that Cucumber and Radish influenced Gravy was like a marvelous air freshener, despite the complimenting of an Alliums influence.

One must be willing to evaluate how ingredients compliment each other and produce new and unique recipes, not adhere to the same old patterns.

Question:
Why are they called 'breaded meatballs' when there is no bread in the recipe? I note the meatballs are coated in granola. Is this granola with sugar added?
Granola is basically Oats. I could have used rolled Oats here, instead of Granola. This was my first try at breaded Meatballs and I found that the Onions and Garlic at the surface of the Meatballs kept the Granola from sticking well to the surface. I could have used something like Egg and did a sort of Granola Batter, but elected to just go with the Granola rolled on as well as could be. In that respect, even if there is some Sugar in the Granola, not much adheres to the Meatballs. Again, the alternative for those who want no Sugar, is rolled Oats and should anyone want to play this recipe, they can also add Egg to increase the tackiness of the breading to the Meatballs.

I don't considered the word 'breaded' to mean 'use bread crumbs', only to mean, cover with a grain.

Back
Top Bottom