Orange-Almond Oatmeal Cookies
Makes about 24 large cookies

Ingredients
1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened but still firm
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2-1/4 cups rolled (not quick) oats (may be labeled old-fashioned oats)
1-1/4 cups AP flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
zest from one orange (about 2 TB)
1 cup toasted chopped almonds

Directions
Heat oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars by hand with a wooden spoon until pale yellow and very light. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until fluffy. Add oats, almonds, and orange zest and mix to combine.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients fold them into the oatmeal mixture using a large rubber spatula or wooden spoon.

Place dough in heaping tablespoons on parchment paper and bake about 15 minutes, or until edges are brown Rotate the pan halfway through the baking time for even browning. The cookies will still feel slightly undercooked and soft when removed from the oven. Slip parchment paper off the baking sheet and place on a cooling rack. Repeat with a new sheet of parchment until all the dough is baked.

NOTE: Toast almonds in a 350F oven for about 5 minutes.

Recipe courtesy of The Dessert Bible, Christopher Kimball

Make every effort not to overbake these - they should come out while still pale and somewhat undercooked, as they'll set up while cooling. If left too late, they'll be hard and crunchy, not soft and chewy.

I love that there are no raisins in them, but not sure if raisins would have worked with orange? Raisins just don't work for me in any case, LOL, which is why I don't love most oatmeal cookies. But these look really good, and the orange/almond/vanilla profile sounds really good. I wouldn't mind them to be a bit crunchy, I love granola so I think I would prefer mine a little overdone, I think.

I love that there are no raisins in them, but not sure if raisins would have worked with orange?
I'm mad at myself because I have craisins on hand, which would have worked wonderfully with these, and I didn't think to toss a few in.

These spread so much, they're nearly as thin as lace Florentine cookies, so even the chewy ones are a little crunchy. The ones I left longer are downright brittle (but still good).

I'm mad at myself because I have craisins on hand, which would have worked wonderfully with these, and I didn't think to toss a few in.

These spread so much, they're nearly as thin as lace Florentine cookies, so even the chewy ones are a little crunchy. The ones I left longer are downright brittle (but still good).
I love craisins! You're right, would have amped it up deliciously. Also wondering if a touch of Amaretto or almond extract instead of vanilla...I might be doing this soon, thank you!

I also love oatmeal cookies, but I also love them with raisins. But, I agree that maybe they wouldn't work here with the orange. On the other hand, maybe dried cranberries with orange?

This is one of several recipes in this challenge that I plan to make (or at least think about making, if I'm motivated) for Christmas. :)

Back
Top Bottom