Recipe Orange glazed sweet potatoes

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
5:40 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Another recipe for the current cookingbites recipe challenge which is oranges. Taken from the UK based newspaper The Guardian. www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jan/17/orange-recipes-duck-orange-broth-fruit-salad-polenta-cake-our-10-best

Orange-glazed sweet potatoes
The orange and the mulling spices bring out the caramel notes of sweet potato to great effect. Serve as an accompaniment to grilled meat or fish or on its own with a crisp salad and a dollop of sour cream.

Serves 4

Ingredients
2 medium size sweet potatoes

For the glaze
A pinch of salt
200g sugar
Zest and juice of 1 orange
3 cloves
1 star anise
5cm cinnamon stick
50g butter
200ml water

1 Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/gas mark 2. Bake the sweet potatoes in their skins directly on the oven shelf for about 1 hour until they are cooked. Allow to cool slightly, then peel and cut in 2cm slices.

2 Put all the ingredients for the glaze in a saucepan. Simmer over a low heat, stirring constantly until the sugar has completely dissolved. Reduce the liquid until it is quite syrupy, then strain to remove the spices.

3 Add the sweet potatoes to the syrup and gently turn them over until warmed and covered in the glaze.

I have had ano orange glaze very similar to this, without the cinnamon, on ham and it was very good so I can only imagine how wonderful this would be on sweet potatoes. I really enjoy sweet potatoes so I am anxious to give this recipe a try.

I have to say that the only thing that concerns me with this recipe is the volume of sugar involved. I know that the recipe serves 4, but 200g of sugar is an awful lot of sugar. That is a staggering 775 calories added to the recipe (or just under 200 calories per serving) . Also the recommended daily (adult) sugar intake is 25g total (that's added sugar, not sugar naturally found in fruit and veg). This recipe is twice that per serving, so I think I personally will be halving the sugar in this recipe when we have this recipe layer in the week.

I have to say that the only thing that concerns me with this recipe is the volume of sugar involved. I know that the recipe serves 4, but 200g of sugar is an awful lot of sugar. That is a staggering 775 calories added to the recipe (or just under 200 calories per serving) . Also the recommended daily (adult) sugar intake is 25g total (that's added sugar, not sugar naturally found in fruit and veg). This recipe is twice that per serving, so I think I personally will be halving the sugar in this recipe when we have this recipe layer in the week.

Let us know how it goes with less sugar. Curious to know if I would need to alter any of the other ingredients!

Yes, I am sure this recipe is super. Thanks for sharing. Sweet potatoes and orange are meant to go together. There is something about the flavors marrying together that makes it like a hand in glove. They are also good with brown sugar of course.

Yes, I am sure this recipe is super. Thanks for sharing. Sweet potatoes and orange are meant to go together. There is something about the flavors marrying together that makes it like a hand in glove. They are also good with brown sugar of course.
We have nothing other that brown sugar in this house. The recipe was only ever going to be made with demerara sugar. Even our caster sugar is golden caster sugar, not white. (Caster sugar being the finest before icing sugar such is like flour in appearance.)

Back
Top Bottom