Recipe Ossobuco Alla Milanese – Milanese Braised Veal Shanks

MypinchofItaly

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:50 AM
Website
mypinchofitaly.co.uk

Ossobuco alla Milanese or simply OssobucoOssibuchi as plural, one of the staples of Milanese cuisine, a tipycal winter dish. Basically it is slices of veal cut rather thickly with the marrow and muscle flaps attached around then cooked in butter and stewed in meat broth.

The meat-cut traditionally used is veal, however can easily be swapped with beef, as long as one keeps in mind that the beef will have a more strong and intense flavour. Veal, however, is more tender.

Often garnished at the end with Gremolada or Gremolata, namely a green sauce made with chopped parsley, garlic and lemon zest. It’s typically served with Milanese Saffron Risotto Milanese Saffron Risotto and this combination makes it a unique dish in which first and second courses are served together. If not served with risotto, it is served with stewed peas, mashed potatoes or more frequently with polenta.

Serves: 2 | Preparation: 20 mins | Cooking : approx. 1 hour

• Ossibuchi / Veal shanks: 2 (about 300 g each)
  • Butter, unsalted: 40 g
  • Soffritto: chopped celery, onion, carrot
  • Parsley, fresh: 1 sprig
  • Lemon zest, to taste
  • White dry wine: 50 ml
  • Hot meat broth: 150 ml
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO): 2 tablespoons
  • White flour: as needed
  • Salt and pepper: to taste
Method

Prepare the Gremolada by chopping finely parsley with garlic, add lemon zest, mix and set aside.

Make soffritto, namely finely dice onion, celery and carrot.

Tip: It is always better to beat the meat with a meat pounder before cooking it, mostly make incisions with a sharp knife or scissors on its sides in order to prevent it from curling during cooking.

Lightly flour the veal shanks on both sides.

Warm up 2 tbsp of EVOO in a frying pan, add butter and once it has melted lightly brown the soffritto. Place the floured ossibuchi in the pan and brown them on both sides over a medium-high heat for a couple of mins, add the white dry wine and let it evaporate.

Oss-1020x765.jpg
Rosolando-oss-1020x786.jpg

Now add the hot broth without covering the meat, a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for about 30 minutes over a low flame covered with the lid.
After this time, flip the veal shanks over and cook them on the other side with the lid on for another 15-20 minutes, basting the meat with the gravy.
Turn off the heat and add the previously prepared gremolada, distributing it in the pan and basting the meat with the gravy in the pan once again.

Serve ossibuchi traditionally with Risotto alla Milanese otherwise with polenta or with stewed peas.

View attachment 72948

Ossobuco alla Milanese or simply OssobucoOssibuchi as plural, one of the staples of Milanese cuisine, a tipycal winter dish. Basically it is slices of veal cut rather thickly with the marrow and muscle flaps attached around then cooked in butter and stewed in meat broth.

The meat-cut traditionally used is veal, however can easily be swapped with beef, as long as one keeps in mind that the beef will have a more strong and intense flavour. Veal, however, is more tender.

Often garnished at the end with Gremolada or Gremolata, namely a green sauce made with chopped parsley, garlic and lemon zest. It’s typically served with Milanese Saffron Risotto Milanese Saffron Risotto and this combination makes it a unique dish in which first and second courses are served together. If not served with risotto, it is served with stewed peas, mashed potatoes or more frequently with polenta.

Serves: 2 | Preparation: 20 mins | Cooking : approx. 1 hour

• Ossibuchi / Veal shanks: 2 (about 300 g each)
  • Butter, unsalted: 40 g
  • Soffritto: chopped celery, onion, carrot
  • Parsley, fresh: 1 sprig
  • Lemon zest, to taste
  • White dry wine: 50 ml
  • Hot meat broth: 150 ml
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO): 2 tablespoons
  • White flour: as needed
  • Salt and pepper: to taste
Method

Prepare the Gremolada by chopping finely parsley with garlic, add lemon zest, mix and set aside.

Make soffritto, namely finely dice onion, celery and carrot.

Lightly flour the veal shanks on both sides.

Warm up 2 tbsp of EVOO in a frying pan, add butter and once it has melted lightly brown the soffritto. Place the floured ossibuchi in the pan and brown them on both sides over a medium-high heat for a couple of mins, add the white dry wine and let it evaporate.

View attachment 72949View attachment 72950

Now add the hot broth without covering the meat, a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for about 30 minutes over a low flame covered with the lid.
After this time, flip the veal shanks over and cook them on the other side with the lid on for another 15-20 minutes, basting the meat with the gravy.
Turn off the heat and add the previously prepared gremolada, distributing it in the pan and basting the meat with the gravy in the pan once again.

Serve ossibuchi traditionally with Risotto alla Milanese otherwise with polenta or with stewed peas.
That looks a million dollars, I can’t get veal here, I don’t know why, I’ll ask my butcher mate, I think it’s the cruelty factor? I need to investigate.

Russ

That looks a million dollars, I can’t get veal here, I don’t know why, I’ll ask my butcher mate, I think it’s the cruelty factor? I need to investigate.

Russ

Veal really fell out of favor in the US when people found out how the animals were raised. You can still find it, for a high price, and I believe the animals are more humanely raised.

CD

Veal really fell out of favor in the US when people found out how the animals were raised. You can still find it, for a high price, and I believe the animals are more humanely raised.

CD
That was my understanding here as well, peta May also have been involved and spca? Milk reared then slaughtered in their prime? I haven’t seen it here in20 years.

Russ

A classic for a reason. So many cooking methods are involved and need to come together for this to happen properly. Haven't made this in ages. Saffron risotto or go home.

Served with saffron risotto is the classic traditional way to serve it and I just love since I am a risotto fan in general, more precisely for the saffron one. However, served with polenta is traditional as well, just perfect.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom