Our cat is fat

@Lullabelle
I have been meaning to reply but never did
I have been the humble servant to cats for my entire life
A few times I have had only one but I usually have 2. Most have been spayed females. A couple have been neutered males.
Most of my babies were indoor/outdoor cats
Really dumb. Even spayed females get attacked by Tom's. They end up with puncture wounds that abscess. Vet bills. They have to be treated for fleas and ticks. More $. Regular vaccines are not enough. They have to be tested for numerous diseases that they only get if they are outside. More $.
My current babies are 7 years old. Sallie was 7 in September. She was abandoned in my sister's flower bed by a feral mom. She was 3 weeks old and weighed 3 1/2 oz. She should have weighed 9 oz.
I bottle fed her every 4 hours, 24/7 for 4 weeks. It was not just feeding. She had to be burped. Then I had to wipe her private parts with a soft Terry cloth to stimulate evacuation. I got her a special heating pad for kittens.
She slept in a bed next to my bed. That tiny, malnourished baby is now a pig baby
She hit 22 lbs. Not good. I had a beautiful tuxedo Male
He was obese and dropped dead at 10 years old.
Sorry
We feed Sallie Sue raw food that we prepare. Chicken thighs and livers, eggs, vitamins, fish oil and Taurine
My girls are fed at 6 and 6. They can tell time.
The recommendations serving is 4 oz per day. I have cut Sallie back to 3 oz per day _ 1 1/2 oz morning and evening.
She is down to 18 lbs but still obese.
I try to get her to play. She likes a laser pointer but will only play for a minute or so then she plops on the floor and gives me "the look ". I tried a harness leash thinking that I would take her for a walk
No problem getting it on her. She plopped on the floor and refused to move.
I am seriously considering cutting down her food 1.25 ounces per meal.
I have had 3 spayed females with the belly flap.It had nothing to do with weight
My girls are spayed at 4 months
They are still kittens. The 3 with the belly flap were given pain meds. No pain so they bounced around like kittens do. Internal stitches pop and they end up with that flapping belly.
My other baby, Daisy, was 7 in March. We call her Crazy because she is a high energy cat who will bounce off of the walls. When she was spayed she would not take meds. So she had pain and did not bounce around
No belly flap
If you can get your cat to walk on a harness that would be a good thing. Any exercise is good.
I am a crazy cat Lady. I love my girls like the children I never had

@Lullabelle
I have been meaning to reply but never did
I have been the humble servant to cats for my entire life
A few times I have had only one but I usually have 2. Most have been spayed females. A couple have been neutered males.
Most of my babies were indoor/outdoor cats
Really dumb. Even spayed females get attacked by Tom's. They end up with puncture wounds that abscess. Vet bills. They have to be treated for fleas and ticks. More $. Regular vaccines are not enough. They have to be tested for numerous diseases that they only get if they are outside. More $.
My current babies are 7 years old. Sallie was 7 in September. She was abandoned in my sister's flower bed by a feral mom. She was 3 weeks old and weighed 3 1/2 oz. She should have weighed 9 oz.
I bottle fed her every 4 hours, 24/7 for 4 weeks. It was not just feeding. She had to be burped. Then I had to wipe her private parts with a soft Terry cloth to stimulate evacuation. I got her a special heating pad for kittens.
She slept in a bed next to my bed. That tiny, malnourished baby is now a pig baby
She hit 22 lbs. Not good. I had a beautiful tuxedo Male
He was obese and dropped dead at 10 years old.
Sorry
We feed Sallie Sue raw food that we prepare. Chicken thighs and livers, eggs, vitamins, fish oil and Taurine
My girls are fed at 6 and 6. They can tell time.
The recommendations serving is 4 oz per day. I have cut Sallie back to 3 oz per day _ 1 1/2 oz morning and evening.
She is down to 18 lbs but still obese.
I try to get her to play. She likes a laser pointer but will only play for a minute or so then she plops on the floor and gives me "the look ". I tried a harness leash thinking that I would take her for a walk
No problem getting it on her. She plopped on the floor and refused to move.
I am seriously considering cutting down her food 1.25 ounces per meal.
I have had 3 spayed females with the belly flap.It had nothing to do with weight
My girls are spayed at 4 months
They are still kittens. The 3 with the belly flap were given pain meds. No pain so they bounced around like kittens do. Internal stitches pop and they end up with that flapping belly.
My other baby, Daisy, was 7 in March. We call her Crazy because she is a high energy cat who will bounce off of the walls. When she was spayed she would not take meds. So she had pain and did not bounce around
No belly flap
If you can get your cat to walk on a harness that would be a good thing. Any exercise is good.
I am a crazy cat Lady. I love my girls like the children I never had

when I was young we had a dog as did family and friends so had nothing to do with cats, my husband's family had cats and so he wanted 1 when he settled into a place of his own. We bought our house then got 2 cats, brother and sister, he disappeared when he was about 4. The female was always out and about very territorial, could eat for England and not gain a pound, she was 14 when we had to take her to the vet. After a couple of years we got this one who is so completely different, lazy and greedy, we think it is because her mum died shortly after she was weaned so hasn't had mum to teach her how to be a cat, she weighs in at 5.8, the heaviest she has ever been so we really need to keep on top of this.

@Lullabelle
Good luck. Do you think you can get her to walk on a halter? Sallie laughed at me when I tried to get her to walk on a halter. She will play with a laser pointer
Both of my girls are fed twice each day. No free feeding and no snacks. To maintain proper portion control their meals are weighed on my kitchen scale.
We both love our girls like children.

@Lullabelle
Good luck. Do you think you can get her to walk on a halter? Sallie laughed at me when I tried to get her to walk on a halter. She will play with a laser pointer
Both of my girls are fed twice each day. No free feeding and no snacks. To maintain proper portion control their meals are weighed on my kitchen scale.
We both love our girls like children.

Every evening before we go to bed we weigh out 45g, that his her quota for the following day, breakfast tea and supper that is all. To be honest I would not bother with a halter, she doesn't wear a collar so I doubt she would be comfortable with anything else.

Back
Top Bottom