Oysters

rascal

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:55 AM
I couldn't find a thread on oysters alone.
I have oysters in the freezer for a meal with friends one night. I usually batter (beer) and deep fry.
What ways do you guys do them.?
I did years ago do them under the grill/ broiler a long time ago.

Russ

This is a copy/paste from the "What did you eat" thread. Pretty much the same as how medtran49 likes them.

I love them grilled (on BBQ). You baste them with garlic butter while cooking. It's a common thing in New Orleans.

What did you cook/eat today (December 2019)?

I also love a good fried oyster po-boy. Oh, and good old Oysters Rockefeller.

CD

I have the shells to cook then in. I'm thinking worst ever sauce cheese few breadcrumbs. Lemon wedge.

Russ

If you use cheese for grilled oysters, use just a little. I would go with a hard cheese like parmesan. Wait until near the end of the cooking.

CD

Oh, and just FYI in general. You can freeze whole oysters in the shell just fine. Scrub the shells clean, then place them in a single layer on a pan in freezer. Allow to freeze for several hours, then double bag, because of any pointy places on shells, and return to freezer. Defrost before opening and using. We've kept them for several months and they were just as good as the fresh.

I learned this because we got a great deal on a huge bag of fresh oysters, way more than Craig and I wanted to eat over a short period of time. The BEST part of freezing them is it makes them so much easier to open. It's a breeze compared to opening them fresh.

Oysters Rockefeller is pretty classic, but I like them as posted above too.

LOVE oysters. The first time I ever ate them was on Margarita Island, off the north east coast of Venezuela. They abound in the mangrove swamps and you get oyster vendors walking the beaches with bucketloads - literally. They're small, so that means you can eat more of them, and they're cheap. I sat down with my wife's cousin one day and we went through 19 DOZEN. Probably cost us about $10.
Back in 2019, we were in Chicago and my eldest son said: " Let's go and eat some oysters!"
We went to Shaw's - really great. Love the tomato/horseradish dip they make.
I'll eat them cooked, fried, smoked, but I think they're so good on their own, why tart them up?
Shaw's Oysters 2.JPG
Shaw's Oysters.JPG

Only ever raw. They are so special and delicious its almost sacrilegious to eat them any other way. I could eat them for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper....and I have! They rank in my top ten foods.

I've porcelain oyster plates (shown below). Here in Kent we have several sources of oysters, most notably Whitstable. But to my mind the best ever are from Mersea Island in Essex. If you are lucky you can buy native oysters there which are different in taste from the rock oysters most countries have. The shells are rounder in shape and they taste much sweeter. Shown below are rock oysters,

fullsizeoutput_7fe4.jpeg

Growing up in the panhandle of NW Florida, oysters were cheap (they came from Appalachicola Bay-- best around those parts). The High Tide was a local restaurant on the island where I lived about 1/2 mile from my apartment. My friends and I would go for happy hour and a dozen raw oysters were $5.50 and domestic bottles of beer were $1. I'd usually have 6 of each. In the summer when the days were long we'd walk up then head back to my apartment after and watch the sunset over the intracoastal waterway from my balcony. Good times.

Nowadays oysters are $22.00 a dozen.

Here they are $38 uncooked $42 cooked. So quite expensive. Bluff are really different. We have farmed ones called Pacific oysters from north island. Not a patch on bluff ones. Ozzy are similar to Pacific, pretty tasteless. Imho

Russ

Here they are $38 uncooked $42 cooked. So quite expensive. Bluff are really different. We have farmed ones called Pacific oysters from north island. Not a patch on bluff ones. Ozzy are similar to Pacific, pretty tasteless. Imho

Russ

From what I can glean from reading, bluff oysters are similar to native oysters in the UK, both in terms of their rounder shape and more delicate creamy taste. Pacific oysters are the same/similar to rock oysters here.

Back
Top Bottom