Pâté - has it fallen out of fashion?

When I was a kid (1970s-80s), ambrosia was everywhere. We even got it in school lunches. The day they had ambrosia on the menu, everybody ate the school lunch. :laugh:
Surprisingly, it had a big following. Lol. There was a pistachio pudding-like dessert called a Watergate salad. Invented
by the Watergate Hotel, unrelated to the incident.

How strange - surely that isn't a pâté? Or at least I can't see how.
No. It's a fruit salad, but ties into the topic - fallen out of fashion, etc., etc.

I was talking about 'cheese pâté' in that post - as mentioned by @TastyReuben.

Coincidentally. I was in a charity shop earlier today and flicking through a book of Victorian recipes and there was Cheese Pâté! It consisted of Stilton cheese mixed with double cream and some spices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Craig bought a whole A grade foie gras for my birthday once. We had a couple of meals with it seared then I decided to make a torchon de foie gras with the rest. We actually liked the torchon better than the seared foie gras. I documented the process on another forum (it was before I joined this one) and it was quite a job getting the liver cleaned, cure placed, wrangling it to get it wrapped, compressed, curing days, poaching, compressing more, then waiting another day or so.

Here's a picture of one of the ways we served it. A celery leaf/parsley/basil salad with a black pepper caramel drizzle.

37240-albums1042-picture6559.jpg

Last edited:
If any of you are looking for pate, terrine or rillette recipes in the U.S., they are all a fairly large part of Cajun/Creole cuisine. Emeril's country pate is one Craig particularly likes. It has veal, pork and chicken livers. There's a rillette recipe I've been looking at for a long time and thinking about making in 1 of his cookbooks we have.

Craig bought a whole A grade foie gras for my birthday once. We had a couple of meals with it seared then I decided to make a torchon de foie gras with the rest. We actually liked the torchon better than the seared foie gras. I documented the process on another forum (it was before I joined this one) and it was quite a job getting the liver cleaned, cure placed, wrangling it to get it wrapped, compressed, curing days, poaching, compressing more, then waiting another day or so.

Here's a picture of one of the ways we served it. A celery leaf/parsley/basil salad with a black pepper caramel drizzle.

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/members/37240-albums1042-picture6559.jpg
View attachment 32216

Impressive!

If any of you are looking for pate, terrine or rillette recipes in the U.S., they are all a fairly large part of Cajun/Creole cuisine. Emeril's country pate is one Craig particularly likes. It has veal, pork and chicken livers. There's a rillette recipe I've been looking at for a long time and thinking about making in 1 of his cookbooks we have.

Emeril's recipe looks good. It reads very like terrine recipes I'm used to making.

The 35 yo book I was flicking through last night had 2 pate recipes, pork pate, made with pork fillets. I don't get that at all.? And snapper pate, I don't get that as well. No chicken livers. Mines a simple recipe, livers garlic thyme parsley cream and Cointreau . And lots of pepper and walnuts occasionally.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom