Recipe Pan de Jamón ( Venezuelan Ham Bread)

karadekoolaid

Legendary Member
Local time
10:13 PM
So here´s something unusual for you if you want to give it a go. It´s a Venezuelan tradition at Xmas time - hundreds and thousands of these are sold at bakeries, and the bread is a great snack at any time of the day. I just had a slice for breakfast.
It was invented back in 1905 by a local baker who, apparently, wanted to use up some leftover ingredients.
You might question the addition of raisins and olives - an unusual combination - but they complement the ham beautifully, with just a touch of saltiness and sweetness.

Ingredients​

for the dough:
5 cups (600 gms) all purpose flour
1 tbsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup (50 gms) sugar
1 cup (240 mls) warm milk
50 g melted butter
2 eggs
for the filling:
600 g smoked ham
1/2 cup raisins
4-5 strips bacon ( thin cut)
25 pimiento-stuffed olives
to brush the dough:
1 beaten egg

Method​

1. Mix the flour, yeast, sugar and salt together in a bowl . Make a hole in the middle and add the milk, butter and beaten eggs . Mix together to form a dough.
  2. Sprinkle some flour on the kitchen top. Take the dough out of the bowl and knead until smooth. Roll into a ball, return to the bowl and cover with a damp teacloth. Allow to rise for an hour.
  3. Heat the oven to 350º F / 175º C.
  4. Place the dough on the kitchen top and roll out into a rectangle, about 1/2 cm ( a little less than 1/4 inch). Trim the dough and save the extra for decoration.
  5. Cover the rectangle evenly with the ham, leaving a space at the sides of the dough. Place the bacon evenly on top. Decorate with the olives and raisins.
  6. Fold over the thin ends of the bread, then roll up the dough. Paint with a little water to seal.
  7. Place the bread carefully on a baking sheet, lightly greased with butter.
  8. Decorate with strips of the remaining dough, using a little water to make them stick.
  9. Paint the dough with the beaten egg.
  10. Bake the bread for about 50 minutes, or until it is golden.
  11. Allow to cool before cutting.

1639424270671.png

Photo: Pan de Jamón Venezolano (Venezuelan Ham Bread)

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to me! I like this recipe though I'd probably not add so much sugar to the dough. That's just me...
Same here on the raisins and olives - I think they go well together. My favorite chicken dish uses prunes and olives and the combination is wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom