Pan Size for Whole Gammon

ElwoodP

Local time
4:55 PM
Hi, I have ordered an 8kg gammon ham on the bone. I need to buy a pan to boil it in before roasting. Can anyone help me out on what size I should buy? Or maybe a big deep tray would be better and just cover and turn it every so often? I guess I need to know some rough dimensions of the thing, butchers weren't that helpful holding up their hands to give me an estimate.

Any good recipes?

Last edited:
Welcome to CookingBites @ElwoodP. Please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us your interests in food and cooking over in New Member Introductions. we are a very friendly forum and we love new members!

Now, concerning your giant gammon, you might wish to consider not poaching it at all. Delia Smith suggests simply roasting it:
https://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-...how-to-cook/meat/how-to-roast-glazed-ham.html. An alternative would be to place it on a rack in a large baking tray filled with water and aromats (bay leaves, juniper berries etc., tent it in foil and steam it in the oven. Set the oven at 160 C and cook for 20 mins per 450kg (it will take about 6 hrs).

Either way you can then remove it from the oven, remove the skin, score the fat into diamonds, stud a clove into each diamond and then paint the ham English mustard and press brown sugar all over. Place back in the oven at a higher temperature for 40 mins or so.

The above methods are probably more sensible than buying a huge pan that you will rarely use and which I reckon would need to cover two gas burners on a stove top!

Last edited:
Hi All.

Thanks @morning glory, Delia's recipe would be suiting as I will be doing this in Norwich! I worry it would dry out though. I really like your idea of poaching it in the oven in a big deep water filled tray before roasting and I still get a lovely stock to use. Thank you!

Hi All.

Thanks @morning glory, Delia's recipe would be suiting as I will be doing this in Norwich! I worry it would dry out though. I really like your idea of poaching it in the oven in a big deep water filled tray before roasting and I still get a lovely stock to use. Thank you!

Well good luck. I hope you will let us know how it goes! :)

Hi, I have ordered an 8kg gammon ham on the bone. I need to buy a pan to boil it in before roasting. Can anyone help me out on what size I should buy? Or maybe a big deep tray would be better and just cover and turn it every so often? I guess I need to know some rough dimensions of the thing, butchers weren't that helpful holding up their hands to give me an estimate.

Any good recipes?
:welcome:

I agree with @morning glory. I've never cooked anything that large so usually have a pan that the joint would fit in, topping up the liquid if necessary. One time Tesco substituted my small size bacon joint with what to me was a huge one and I just roasted it the way that @morning glory suggested. Must admit I missed the lovely bacon stock though :laugh:

I know I'm a couple of weeks too late for this (I blame the stinking cold/flu I've had for the last 3 weeks).....but I used to use a jam pan to boil hams that were too large for the pressure cooker. I now simply roast them in the oven: 30 mins on a hot heat (230/250ish) followed by about 15 hours at 100 degrees. Make sure you wrap well in foil to keep the juices in. You can drizzle with black treacle or molasses for extra flavour if you want.

I did this in Boxing Day and it went down a storm...just fell apart and so succulent. And incredibly easy and stress-free to cook too :D

i am cooking a ham "Southern Style" for New Year's day. Will share photos and recipe with you all.
What is "Southern Style"? I'd be really interested to know :)

At the risk of being totally off topic....we're having a slow roast rib of beef for New Year's Day. Its another do the hard bit (in this case blow-torch the outside) the day before, then stick in the oven for the best part of a day.
Can you tell that I'm a fan of low-stress cooking for special occasions? *lol* If I remember I'll try to take some photos and write up the (non)recipe here.

What is "Southern Style"? I'd be really interested to know :)

At the risk of being totally off topic....we're having a slow roast rib of beef for New Year's Day. Its another do the hard bit (in this case blow-torch the outside) the day before, then stick in the oven for the best part of a day.
Can you tell that I'm a fan of low-stress cooking for special occasions? *lol* If I remember I'll try to take some photos and write up the (non)recipe here.

I'll remind you as it sounds great! I got a blow torch for my birthday - great fun!

Any good recipes?
8 kg :eek:

Back
Top Bottom