Ingredients

225 ml milk
1 tblsp butter
1 tblsp plain flour, sieved.
2 tblsp fresh parsley, roughly chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper.

parsley s.jpg

Method

Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the butter and sieved flour. Slowly bring to the boil whisking continuously.

When the sauce thickens turn the heat down to very low and season. Then whisk in the chopped parsley.

Simmer very gently for 8 minutes stirring regularly.

Serve immediately.

parsley sauce.jpg

I never associated parsley sauce with gammon. I'm too used to mustard. Maybe I'll try it. I still have five gammon steaks in the freezer.
We regularly have parsley sauce with baked ham. My wife uses the Delia method as well, buts adds a little powdered mustard to it. Works really well.

We regularly have parsley sauce with baked ham. My wife uses the Delia method as well, buts adds a little powdered mustard to it. Works really well.

I also use the Delia method for cheese sauce (for cauliflower) and to that I add a teaspoon of powdered English mustard.

No mention of cod or haddock then?

No - although it is said to be for fish and you use fish stock. I think it is simply saying that its particularly good with salmon and mackerel. This is quite different from what we would call the traditional British parsley sauce made with a béchamel and milk like yours. No milk at all in this one.

Last edited:
I use to eat this as a youngster although not sure if it was Young's brand.

View attachment 28103

There was one in butter sauce also.
That takes me back to boil in the bag cod in parsley sauce. Back in the seventies my mother rebelled against her farmhouse kitchen upbringing and embraced everything 'convenience food'. The cod wasn't bad, but the tinned new potatoes that accompanied it were truly appalling.

Back
Top Bottom