Recipe Parsnip Five Ways

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
8:33 AM
I was wondering what to do with all the left over bits of parsnip (both cooked and raw) from the Recipe Challenge and had a few ideas. So I thought I'd put them all together as a 'chefy' starter. I haven't included weights and measures because I was literally working with scraps. But most of it is common sense depending on the quantity you are making. It may seem complicated but each element is simple to make.
DSCF2554.jpg

On the main black plate clockwise from the top: pickled parsnip, truffled parsnip quennelle with parsnip and parmesan crisp, curried parsnip rissole with hot yellow pepper sauce. In the pink bowl: parsnip coleslaw. On the second black plate: pink radicchio salad.

Ingredients:

For the parsnip rissoles:
Mashed parsnip
Medium curry powder
Flour, beaten eggs and breadcrumbs

For parsnip with truffle oil
Pureed parsnips
A few drops of truffle oil

For the parmesan and parsnip crisp
Finely grated raw parsnip (I used a microplane)
Finely grated parmesan

For the pickled parsnip
Finely shaved slivers of raw parsnip
Rice wine vinegar and sugar

For the parsnip coleslaw
Grated or julienned raw parsnip (I used a julienne cutter)
Mayonnaise
Tarragon (dried or fresh)
Sunflower seeds

Method:
Pickled parsnips
  • Heat rice wine vinegar in a small saucepan and add white sugar (to taste) until it dissolves.
  • Add finely shaved slivers of raw parsnip. Take pan off heat and leave to marinade for at least an hour.
Parmesan and Parsnip crisp
  • Heat oven to 180C
  • Sprinkle the finely grated raw parsnip and parmesan onto a non-stick baking sheet or baking parchment. Press down lightly and form into a flat lacy circle.
  • Bake for 5 - 8 minutes until golden. Allow to cool and crisp up.
Parsnip coleslaw
  • Mix grated or julienned parsnip with just enough mayonnaise to coat the strands.
  • Add tarragon sparingly and mix. Add sunflower seeds and mix.
Parsnip rissoles
  • Mix curry powder (to taste) into mashed parsnip and form into cylinders in your hands. Put in fridge to firm up.
  • Gently roll the cylinders in flour, then beaten egg, the breadcrumbs.
  • Fry in hot oil until golden.
Parsnip with truffle oil
  • Heat the pureed parsnip and add a few drops of truffle oil (to taste).
Assemble ingredients as shown with yellow pepper sauce (recipe posted separately).
DSCF2538.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome ideas. You are very creative when it comes to cooking. I am going to try the coleslaw and the pickled parsnips. They sound great. I have never really done a whole lot with parsnips before so it nice to see all these great recipes.

Awesome ideas. You are very creative when it comes to cooking. I am going to try the coleslaw and the pickled parsnips. They sound great. I have never really done a whole lot with parsnips before so it nice to see all these great recipes.
She really is. I think she is going to be the next Martha Stewart or maybe some other more flawless name. Nigella Lawson maybe? I am yet to find some parsnip and today was suppose to be the day. Now I am 'car-less" and no supermarket in walking distance is going to have parsnip if I find it on the island at all.

Reactions: L_B
She really is. I think she is going to be the next Martha Stewart or maybe some other more flawless name. Nigella Lawson maybe? I am yet to find some parsnip and today was suppose to be the day. Now I am 'car-less" and no supermarket in walking distance is going to have parsnip if I find it on the island at all.
You are too kind @winterybella. But the thing is, that I'm not a Chef. I couldn't even begin to deal with the speed and heat of professional kitchens. Of course, Nigella's not a Chef either, but she does have very good connections. Don't get me wrong. I like Nigella and I love the way she speaks about food. But I'm just a retired old woman with all the time in the world to obsess about cooking and try a few things out.

Anyway, shall I post you a parsnip or two - or would it be banned by Barbados customs!

I was at the market yesterday to pick up a few things so I bought a bag of parsnips while I was there. I can't remember the last time I bought parsnips. I agree with winterybella. ☺

I was at the market yesterday to pick up a few things so I bought a bag of parsnips while I was there. I can't remember the last time I bought parsnips. I agree with winterybella. ☺
Enjoy! I must say, that I've cooked so many parsnip dishes during the last week that everyone here is fed up with them! As my son said yesterday 'Parsnip Five Ways? Are you serious?' .

Back
Top Bottom