Recipe Parsnip Hash Browns

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
7:38 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
Hash browns are traditionally just potatoes but the key to them is to ensure you have a waxy potatoes (one that holds its shape cooked and does not get soft and mash easily) and that you rid the potatoes of a much of their liquid as possible after you have grated them.

I know that one or two of you are warey of recipes that say day you can replace this ingredient with any other, but for those unable to obtain parsnips or simply not liking them, you can replace the parsnips with any other root vegetable and follow the recipe to the letter and it will still work.

hash browns.jpg

Ingredients

• 450g waxy potatoes
  • 350g parsnips
  • 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 4-5 tbsp cooking oil
Method
  1. Coarsely grate the potatoes and parsnips.
  2. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible with your hand. Do NOT omit this step, it is really important you get a much liquid from the root vegetable as possible. Then put them in to a bowl.
  3. Stir in the onion, garlic, egg and season to taste.
  4. Divide the mixture into six and roughly shape into flat cakes.
  5. Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in a large non-stick frying pan and fry three of the cakes on a low heat for 4-5 mins on each side until golden and tender. Transfer to kitchen paper with a slotted spoon and leave to cool while frying the remainder, adding remaining oil as necessary. .

Sounds good enough to me and I have no problems substituting things. When it comes to cooking I have been doing that from as far back as I can remember. To make my own hash browns would be a treat. If only I can find the time to make all the things I want to make.:(

Back
Top Bottom