Recipe Parsnip & Turnip Stew

The Late Night Gourmet

Home kook
Staff member
Local time
11:35 AM
Website
absolute0cooking.com

This is a simple recipe, but it yields something that’s very complex in character. Parsnips have a quality that’s like carrots infused with nutmeg. Turnips have a cabbage-like taste, but they cook like a potato, making it more hearty and warming than cabbage. This recipe challenge made me really look at root vegetables. I realize I have been neglecting them, or at the very least, undervaluing their use.

This recipe was adapted from a New York Times cooking section recipe. They used more carrots, and it had a nice orange color. But, it felt like I was taking away from the real focus of the recipe for the sake of a gimmick. While it looks cool, I want to be able to taste the parsnips and turnips. It may not look pretty, but this recipe definitely does that.

I originally intended to purée the mixture to create a smooth texture, but I included extra turnip, and did not have enough homemade stock to balance it out. This is a thick stew. It's not chunky, but it still feels hearty. The parsnip chips make a nice, crispy topping that add amazing flavor.

Making this also re-energized my love of cooking. If I can make something this delicious that’s so simple to make, what excuse do I have to not do it more often?

Ingredients

1 small onion, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon thyme
1 1/2 pounds mixed parsnips and turnips, chopped roughly
1 pound carrots, chopped roughly
1 parsnip, sliced thinly
3-4 cups stock (to achieve desired consistency)
salt and pepper to taste
scallions, cut in small pieces, for garnish

Directions

1. Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat, and sauté onion for about 10 minutes. Stir in thyme for about a minute, then add chopped parsnips, turnips, and carrots to the pot, thoroughly coating with the onion/thyme mixture. The sliced parsnips are used later in the recipe.

2. Add stock to the pot. Lower heat, and cook for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Heat some oil in a separate pan on medium heat. Add parsnip slices in a single layer and cook for a few minutes, flipping over once, and taking care to not let them burn. Remove from pan and place on a paper towel to absorb any oil.

4. Puree the contents of the pot, working in batches if necessary, then return to the pot. Add salt and pepper as needed.

5. Serve with parsnip chips and scallions.

I really like the way you have left the root vegetables chunky It means you can taste each one rather than them being 'merged'. I like those parsnip chips too!

Back
Top Bottom