4 TBsp unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
1 TBsp tahini
1-1/2 tsp black sesame seeds
1 pound purple plums, sliced thin
1-1/2 pounds peaches, peeled and sliced thin
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 TBsp fresh lemon juice

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a food processor, pulse the flour with the light brown sugar and salt. Add the butter and tahini and pulse until moist crumbs form. Add the sesame seeds and pulse to combine. Scatter the tahini crumbs on the baking sheet and bake them for about 20 minutes, until they are golden and crisp. Let cool, then break up any big clumps.

2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, combine the plums and peaches with the granulated sugar and lemon juice and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the fruit is just softened and the juices thickened, about 10 minutes.

3. Scrape the fruit into a shallow gratin dish or a pie plate and sprinkle with the crumbs. Bake in the center of the oven until the fruit is bubbling, 10-15 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, then serve.

Make Ahead: The crumble and fruit can be refrigerated separately overnight. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.

NOTE: Any sesame seeds you have can be substituted for the black sesame seeds. I also thickened the filling with some cornstarch.

Recipe courtesy of Food & Wine Annual Cookbook 2013

The fruit filling tastes as expected; it's a crumble/crisp, so no surprises.

The topping...it's definitely got a much different, very noticeable, sesame taste. I didn't tell MrsTasty the change-up, and she picked up on it immediately. I still prefer the traditional crisp topping, made with oats, but this is a nice, and somewhat lighter, change.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom