Recipe Pear Upside Down Cake

Mountain Cat

Veteran
Local time
7:38 AM
Website
goatsandgreens.wordpress.com
If dairy-free, I am sure you can adapt a combination of coconut yogurt to oat milk to make something tasty, in place of the buttermilk.

pear-upsidedown-jpg.jpg

I adapted this recipe: Makeover Peach Upside Down Cake. Make over because it has less fat (as it uses that buttermilk), but it still looked mighty sugary to me, so I’m afraid I reduced the sugar so that I would personally enjoy it. I also switched to canned pears instead of canned peaches (the latter always taste metallic to me).

pear-pears-and-sugar-jpg.jpg

Above: first layer.

Back in the day, Mom used to make a pineapple upside down cake, but alas I don’t have her recipe. As I recall, the cake part of hers wasn’t too sweet, either.

pear-raw-jpg.jpg

I don’t have an actual cake pan, so I used one of the pans I picked up specifically for making quiches. So, it’s not going to have that “straight sided” effect that would be normal – use whatever you choose or have. I could have also used one of my square cooking pans of the appropriate size, but I opted to remain with the quiche pan. (You guessed it, I don’t really feel the need to make desserts often. I know there will be at least two more desserts made here this year — and I like trying something new for each. If they pass muster, I’ll post… and I doubt any will be standard cakes, since I’m not very much interested in them.)

pear-resting-jpg.jpg

pear-serving-jpg.jpg

Prep Time: 20 minutes.
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes.
Rest Time: 10 minutes.
Serves: How hungry are you? Easily 8 people.
Cuisine: Dessert.
Leftovers?: Cover and refrigerate.

Pear Upside Down Cake with Buttermilk​

• 1 can (15 ounces) sliced pears in juice. Mine came as halves, but just slice ’em. Fresh pears would also work.
  • 1/3 cup / 80 mL packed brown sugar I used brown coconut sugar. (if fresh pears, add a little more sugar as you prefer.)
  • 4 tablespoons butter. Melt and divide (1 tablespoon and 3 tablespoons)
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1.5 cups / 355 mL all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup / 120 mL sugar (I went ahead and used more brown coconut sugar, but feel free to use plain white)
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup / 240 mL buttermilk
Preheat your oven to 350 F° / 177 C°.

Drain pears, but set aside 2 tablespoons of their juice. Rinse off excess sweetness using tap water (if canned).

Cut pear slices lengthwise in half, and then use a paper towel to dry them.

Mix brown sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, the cinnamon and nutmeg, as well as those 2 tablespoons of juice together.

Place the above mixture into a 9-in. round lightly-oiled baking pan. Layer the pear slices over the top, artistically if so inspired.

In another suitable bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.

In yet another bowl, mix the whole egg, vanilla, buttermilk, and the rest of the butter.

Add the contents of this last bowl to the dry ingredients and stir just until lightly combined.

Using a large spoon, layer the immediately-above over the pears in their pan.

Bake 30-35 minutes. Test for done-ness by using a toothpick, if it comes out clean, you’re ready.

Cool 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving platter, and serve immediately as this is best dived into whilst warm.

Back
Top Bottom