People Asking for Money Outside the Grocery Store

CraigC

Guru
Local time
1:15 AM
This really bugs the #### out of me! Kids and parents hitting you up for money to support their sports teams, scouts, etc. When I was involved in sports before high school we had to do something to earn any money to support us. Same with scouts. ERRRRRR!

We get them in the store, packing your bags in exchange for money, I appreciate they need support but to force/guilt you into handing over money isn't good.

There were so many people asking for money, including the homeless, outside the supermarket, they built a new market. The parking is now underground. It took about a year and a half. Now you have to go through glass doors to get into the store, and up an escalator. The shopping carts are no longer in front of the market. They're inside the store upstairs. The homeless were stealing the shopping carts. I hate the new market, and don't shop there anymore. Sad.

Last edited:
This really bugs the #### out of me! Kids and parents hitting you up for money to support their sports teams, scouts, etc. When I was involved in sports before high school we had to do something to earn any money to support us. Same with scouts. ERRRRRR!

I think that the kids are doing it for a worthy cause. They are trying to raise money in a good way.

When I see bums do it, especially in front of liquor stores, it means that they are trying to support their drinking habit, & that doesn't fly with me!! I feel that if they can do that all day, each & every day, then they can be out knocking on doors to look for a job so that they can buy their own liquor, wine or beer!! :mad: :headshake:

Last edited:
I think it is fine if they are selling something that you can optionally buy to support the team or the activity. And they aren't anywhere close to the access to the building.

I have seen kids and parents selling candies to support the local high school volleyball team (at my previous home) outside the Mom and Pop grocery there. Since I was once on my own high school volleyball team, and they were offering to sell something, I gave them some cash. I didn't buy anything because they weren't selling anything I'd remotely want to consume. I told them I did it because I was once on a volleyball team and enjoyed the memory.

Again, there were Girl Scouts outside the local Dunkin Donuts back at my old home, with a troop leader. Unfortunately whatever they've done to manufacture those cookies in the past decade or more does not sit well on my stomach at all, so I simply donated a little cash, probably equivalent to one box. (I also can't eat Dunkin's donuts either, same reason, but yeah, can drink their coffee.)

Usually in larger cities, there will be areas where "homeless" people come up to your car when it's stopped in traffic and just start cleaning your windshield, even if you are yelling at them to go away, for which they expect payment. There have been news reports of things getting a bit heated.

Regarding the begging in front of the grocery store, I don't like it either. When DD was in school, they sold Krispy Kreme doughnuts on Fridays, sold candy bars, coupon books for local stores and restaurants, worked concessions at school functions, etc. They didn't stand around in front of grocery stores begging for money.

If a homeless looking person did this, the police would be called. I have personally seen this happen with an older couple, one of whom was in a wheelchair, and they were carrying a lot of stuff with them so I assume they were homeless. Obviously, I don't know the whole story and they may have been con artists, harassing the customers, or the store just didn't want those type of people hanging around their storefront.

Let's be honest here, what the kids are doing is panhandling, nothing more, nothing less, and it's illegal, regardless of what cause they are representing.

Usually in larger cities, there will be areas where "homeless" people come up to your car when it's stopped in traffic and just start cleaning your windshield, even if you are yelling at them to go away, for which they expect payment. There have been news reports of things getting a bit heated.

Regarding the begging in front of the grocery store, I don't like it either. When DD was in school, they sold Krispy Kreme doughnuts on Fridays, sold candy bars, coupon books for local stores and restaurants, worked concessions at school functions, etc. They didn't stand around in front of grocery stores begging for money.

If a homeless looking person did this, the police would be called. I have personally seen this happen with an older couple, one of whom was in a wheelchair, and they were carrying a lot of stuff with them so I assume they were homeless. Obviously, I don't know the whole story and they may have been con artists, harassing the customers, or the store just didn't want those type of people hanging around their storefront.

Let's be honest here, what the kids are doing is panhandling, nothing more, nothing less, and it's illegal, regardless of what cause they are representing.

Well if anyone does it, it's panhandling or stemming, and is illegal. I can understand the kids doing it, They are not old enough to get jobs. but a grown person - man or woman, they know better!! :mad:

Last edited:
When my kids were playing sport I coached them, we went to Australia and played teams over there. We raised money by running a kitchen at a rugby club and running raffles at a pub. I normally give to people fundraising but not to the so called homeless. A guy that used to do my lawns was a professional begger. I saw him in town 3 or 4 times sitting on the path with some cardboard wanting money. He was on a benefit and topping up by doing cash lawn jobs. One city here has just passed laws with no begging within 50 metres ? From a shop. I think it's Tauranga.?

Russ

No one wakes up in the morning and decides to become an alcoholic or drug addict so that they can lose everything and end up on the street, circumstances have dictated this. Not everyone can get help or wants help, cleaning up isn't all that easy so I don't get annoyed by people on the street, all circumstances are different.

No one wakes up in the morning and decides to become an alcoholic or drug addict so that they can lose everything and end up on the street, circumstances have dictated this. Not everyone can get help or wants help, cleaning up isn't all that easy so I don't get annoyed by people on the street, all circumstances are different.

That's very true, BUT here at least you can't always assume the "homeless"person begging for money really is what they appear to be. Time after time, there are news stories of people following the beggars to see if they are really what they appear to be, only to see them getting into nice to very nice cars and driving off. One incident recently stuck in my mind because of the sheer stupidity of the begger. A driver noticed a heavily pregnant woman begging for money on a street he used to commute to work. This went on for months. He obviously became suspicious and decided to follow her 1 day. Well, she walked up to a luxury car, a Mercedes or a BMW, I don't remember, went to the trunk, opened it, fiddled around blocked from his view for a few minutes, closed the trunk, walked around the car and guess what she was no longer pregnant!

A former boss of Craig's stopped once and offered one of the "will work for food" sign people a job cleaning up in the shop and then would take him food shopping. The guy starts cussing him out because Craig's boss actually wanted him to work and was then going to buy him food instead of just giving him money.

That's very true, BUT here at least you can't always assume the "homeless"person begging for money really is what they appear to be. Time after time, there are news stories of people following the beggars to see if they are really what they appear to be, only to see them getting into nice to very nice cars and driving off. One incident recently stuck in my mind because of the sheer stupidity of the begger. A driver noticed a heavily pregnant woman begging for money on a street he used to commute to work. This went on for months. He obviously became suspicious and decided to follow her 1 day. Well, she walked up to a luxury car, a Mercedes or a BMW, I don't remember, went to the trunk, opened it, fiddled around blocked from his view for a few minutes, closed the trunk, walked around the car and guess what she was no longer pregnant!

A former boss of Craig's stopped once and offered one of the "will work for food" sign people a job cleaning up in the shop and then would take him food shopping. The guy starts cussing him out because Craig's boss actually wanted him to work and was then going to buy him food instead of just giving him money.

I agree, there are some who are not genuine but those who are do need help.

I agree, there are some who are not genuine but those who are do need help.

There was a documentary on BBC Radio 4 about homeless addicts which was presented by one who had recovered. Her advice (if you want to help) was not to give money but give food. This is not bad advice for sorting out the fakers too, who are not genuinely short of money.

When I was a lot younger I did a soup run for St Mungo's charity. This was a long time ago! We went out at night to all the places where down and outs slept and offered them hot soup from a thermos and bread. Most were really glad of it.

The kids do what the bums do. They stop you either on the way in the store, or on the way out. As kids, we used to offer help with groceries when the shoppers came out. In the hopes of getting some change to make money. :wink:

I have mixed feelings
Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, school sports teams I am OK with as long as they are in uniform and accompanied by adults
I never give money to the random beggar
I keep gift cards for Burger King, McDonald's, Wendy's- whatever. Usually in $5 denomination
I also keep water and protein bars in my car
Three weeks ago we were in Nashville . I was approached by a man asking for a meal . He told me that he did not want money. He was new to Nashville, living in a shelter, looking for work. He was not noticeably impaired by drugs or alcohol
Clear eyed, articulate and had a shower recently. I initially said no. He started to cross the street. I called him back and brought him to the hotel restaurant and fed him.
I do not trust pan handlers. Something about this man touched me. He was genuinely what he claimed to be or deserving of an Academy Award. Cost more to feed him than giving him $5 or $10.

I haven't been to a home improvement store in awhile, but there was a time not long ago, illegals? would approach me (when leaving the store) looking for work/day labor, for painting etc. Now, I think, they are supposed to stand a certain distance away from the store, or prohibited altogether. Seems the marketplace has become a go-to spot for anyone/everyone.

Back
Top Bottom