People Asking for Money Outside the Grocery Store

You can always donate to homeless shelters and diners. Diners are always looking for volunteers. They take donations of both food and money.
We have a family tradition of bringing warm clothes to the men's shelter for Christmas
Every one remembers and supports the women and children's shelters. Homeless men are frequently forgotten.

There was a documentary on BBC Radio 4 about homeless addicts which was presented by one who had recovered. Her advice (if you want to help) was not to give money but give food. This is not bad advice for sorting out the fakers too, who are not genuinely short of money.

When I was a lot younger I did a soup run for St Mungo's charity. This was a long time ago! We went out at night to all the places where down and outs slept and offered them hot soup from a thermos and bread. Most were really glad of it.

My cousin runs a food shelter on the Gold Coast with his wife. My daughter and her partner do the same here for the homeless 2 days a week. I've done my bit in the past as well. I'm in 2 minds about helping now.

Russ

At Xmas we took 3 whole hams and Xmas cakes and pavlovas to the city mission who cook lunch for the homeless, about 400 people I think. This was from a committee that I'm the chair of that raises a lot of money for charaties. About $500 worth.

Russ

Thank you @Russ
My Honey hunts and fishes. Certain times of the year we have more than we can use
Even in the manual defrost freezer it gets freezer burned
When G is out of town I raid the freezer and donate to the local diner
They serve 3 meals a day 364 days a year. They are closed Christmas day.

Thank you @Russ
My Honey hunts and fishes. Certain times of the year we have more than we can use
Even in the manual defrost freezer it gets freezer burned
When G is out of town I raid the freezer and donate to the local diner
They serve 3 meals a day 364 days a year. They are closed Christmas day.

When you say diner, I'm thinking of a for profit business!?!

We get them in the store, packing your bags in exchange for money, I appreciate they need support but to force/guilt you into handing over money isn't good.
I don’t mind them doing something as a fundraiser. If you want your kid to take my groceries to my care me for what is s small amount of money I’ll do it. Selling stuff, I never do unless it is Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. Then I’m a sucker

I don’t mind them doing something as a fundraiser. If you want your kid to take my groceries to my care me for what is s small amount of money I’ll do it. Selling stuff, I never do unless it is Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies. Then I’m a sucker

Oh but they don't do anything other than stand there and ask for money. When I went to the grocery yesterday, a big strapping teenager was standing outside the door with a sign asking for support for his basketball team. He was so busy playing on his phone he couldn't even make eye contact with you, much less talk to ask for money. Bet he got lots of $, not!

Oh but they don't do anything other than stand there and ask for money. When I went to the grocery yesterday, a big strapping teenager was standing outside the door with a sign asking for support for his basketball team. He was so busy playing on his phone he couldn't even make eye contact with you, much less talk to ask for money. Bet he got lots of $, not!
The store we go to has a policy against this. Even in the parking lot.

Drives me crazy entering/exiting stores and people selling or asking for donations. I sometimes feel trapped. Also, people walking up to you in parking lots asking you to sign a petition that is a 3 page read. Leave me alone.

I am more willing to randomly hand a few bucks to someone who appears down on their luck then to some one selling or asking for a donation (besides the Salvation Army)

I’m a sucker for the Girl Scout Cookies and over-spend on those. The skinny girls at the Dive Bar eat all they want and seem to loose weight.
The hand out people are so often fake. Especially the fake Veteran causes. Our local VFW checks these people out and most always bogus.
Our charity is Children’s Hospital.

Often times the cashiers at one grocery store ask if you would like to donate to @@@@@ charity. I tell them I give to charity every week, its called the IRS. With many "charities" 90% of the intake goes to administrative costs.

We are quite open with people wanting donations, we only give to Salvation Army and city mission, we help them a lot. Last Xmas we gave city mission who house and feed the homeless $600 dollars of food. Including 5? I think hams.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom