Pepper Grinders

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Local time
11:16 AM
We were talking about peppercorn recently, so let’s see you pepper grinder(s):

Mine is a wee one, which makes it easy to use without feeling like I’m getting a workout.

It has three grind settings, which look exactly the same to me. :laugh:

First of all we had a Heckler & Koch/Smith & Wesson??? Cole & Mason?? :eek: :o_o::o_o: - something like that.
Then we had a huge one given to us... the bottom bit broke!
Then I discovered Kirkland and that, my friends, is it!
(Although if I need a huge amount, I´ll use my Cuisinart spice Grinder).

First of all we had a Heckler & Koch/Smith & Wesson??? Cole & Mason?? :eek: :o_o::o_o: - something like that.
Then we had a huge one given to us... the bottom bit broke!
Then I discovered Kirkland and that, my friends, is it!
(Although if I need a huge amount, I´ll use my Cuisinart spice Grinder).
The first two you mention are gun manufacturers. Don't know if they also make hand held pepper grinders. I just grind whole corns in our electric spice grinder. Gave up on buying ones that kept breaking. If I need cracked pepper corns I'll use the bottom of a sauce pan.

mine is maybe 21 years old. it is a William Bounds pepper mill. I bought before I was the rabid researcher that I am today. I just got it with zero reviews. haha..it is outstanding!! huge rain showers of pepper. the grind adjustment actually works. it is kinda nasty now having spent two decades next to a stove. I even take it camping with me. I probably just ruined it right now scubbing it. it was feeling tacky, and I can't have that. drying it out now. fingers crossed. I suppose I could take it apart easily. looks simple.

I want a Unicorn, but it just won't have the nostalgia of this beater.

If I could find a pepper grinder that didn't shed pepper grindings from the base when not in use I'd be happy.
That’s another thing about mine - the grinder is at the top, so that’s not a problem.

Jacques Pépin used a Peppermate mill:

Amazon

You can either grind pepper directly into the little hopper (good when you need to measure) or pop that off and grind it directly onto something.

Tina Nordstrom (New Scandic Cooking, or something like that) uses a gorgeous giant blue mill (which I can’t find a picture of) that I love purely for the looks. It may be a Le Creuset, I’m not sure.

That’s another thing about mine - the grinder is at the top, so that’s not a problem.

Jacques Pépin used a Peppermate mill:

View attachment 89277
Amazon

You can either grind pepper directly into the little hopper (good when you need to measure) or pop that off and grind it directly onto something.

Tina Nordstrom (New Scandic Cooking, or something like that) uses a gorgeous giant blue mill (which I can’t find a picture of) that I love purely for the looks. It may be a Le Creuset, I’m not sure.

Blimey that Peppermate mill is around £60 ($72). Gulp!

30 years of pepper and salt mills...
The green pair are the first hubby and I bought together. The pair on their right are their replacement purchased a couple of years ago. A UK make, but bought in Australia!

I could do 50 years with 1 more, but I think that's in the garage somewhere in storage.

The pepper grinder has 5 settings, the salt mill only 3.

IMG_2023.JPG

My work horse in my kitchen, Unicorn, recommended by ATC - I've had it for 15 years.
This is the brand of whole Peppercorns I purchase.
IMG_2022.JPG

Fletcher's Mill One Handed Stainless Steel Salt & Pepper Mills
This set is on the dining table. I rather the diner season to their liking.
The only probably with that was when Mom was living with us, she would SLAM down on it, she broke one of them!
It broke up into so many pieces, I couldn't fix it, so I bought a new one while we were in Southern AZ.
I've had these, well the Salt Mill at least :laugh: , for 15 years as well.

Back
Top Bottom