Pepper

epicuric

Legendary Member
Local time
10:45 PM
During my recent trip to BBC Good Food Live I picked up these:

IMG_1626.JPG

Whilst I do grind black pepper onto many things, I have never experienced pepper like this. I sampled all three at the show, and was amazed at the different flavours. Apparently, pepper works as a mild irritant to the mouth and thus inflames the taste receptacles. This means that flavours combined with pepper will be stronger and longer lasting. I was advised to try the red pepper on my favourite cheese - a nearby Snowdonia Cheese Co. stand provided samples of one of my favourite cheddars - Black Bomber. The combination of cheese and red pepper was awesome. I am now trying pepper with everything! Strawberries work well, dipped in black pepper.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to have to try this Kanpot pepper. Have you tried Long Pepper?

I use pepper a lot (white, black, green, pink) although the latter are not true peppercorns. I use a lot in curry sometimes - it provides a differential layering of the hot flavours alongside the chilli because, as you say, it works on different parts of the mouth.

Pepper ( au poivre ) is very common encrusted on Filet Mignon Beef in France ..

When I was in Orlando, at the Disney Resort Hotel Travel & Tourism Convention last year, I had Fresh Blackened Salmon with a lovely tropical fruit salsa on the side ..

The blackened spice blend used was: Smoked paprika, black pepper, sea salt, White pepper, garlic, onion, ground mustard, thyme and cayenne; all dry spices / herbs.

The peppercorns of various colors are often used in spice blends too for rubs on a variety of meats for the BBQ process ..

Have a lovely day ..
Fabulous post ..

Back
Top Bottom