Peppers

Orangeapron the green ones look like pimentos padron. I thought they were a different variety from the round-ish green and red ones since they are short and thinner.

Orangeapron the green ones look like pimentos padron. I thought they were a different variety from the round-ish green and red ones since they are short and thinner.
Maybe I didn't explain myself as clear as I wanted. The green ones and red ones of my pics, are different varieties. I wanted to say that colour on those varieties depends on the point of maturity . The genuine pimiento de padrón, as you know is smaller than the green ones of my pic, but they have the tip more rounded

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but does anyone enjoy bell pepper salad? These are a staple in the summertime here in Portugal. Whenever we're having sardines we usually grill one green pepper and mix it with lettuce and tomatoes but we can also do a salad with only grilled peppers.
1617870918202.png

Maybe I didn't explain myself as clear as I wanted. The green ones and red ones of my pics, are different varieties. I wanted to say that colour on those varieties depends on the point of maturity . The genuine pimiento de padrón, as you know is smaller than the green ones of my pic, but they have the tip more rounded
Sorry my bad, yes the pimentos padrón are smaller than those ones.

That's fascinating. Is that your personal observation or is it based on some kind of 'study'? Now of course, I'm trying to think of Spanish dishes without peppers!
Personal observation and some research, I would say. I grew up here with friends who own cultivation fields of pepper. So I have seen the process year by year. As a cook I have always fascinated for the way products are processed before they arrive to the kitchen, so I like to do some research about it. In fact a friend of mine and I, we were planting some pepper plants a week or two ago for our consuming in his country house. .

During hundred of years this paprika was mostly used to make the charcuterie of the iberian pork, and to preserve and maintain the meat.
Fantastic! I have learned so much!
Love reading about traditions and traditional food. Will see the video later as I have to get ready for work. Thank you!
Quite a lot of veges here recently are imported from Spain...I read on the labels...

I don't know if this was mentioned already, but does anyone enjoy bell pepper salad? These are a staple in the summertime here in Portugal. Whenever we're having sardines we usually grill one green pepper and mix it with lettuce and tomatoes but we can also do a salad with only grilled peppers.
View attachment 60807
I love grilled peppers! Drizzle of olive oil, salt, wonderful! Sometimes I add feta cheese, no salt needed then, and olives...aaa, delicious. The red pointed, Romano peppers, are very much in use in Bulgaria, and in Croatia, perhaps a little less. My Grandma made those a lot, and I was in charge of peeling, my hands all black😁😂 but it was worth it. She even had a funny looking pepper-baking electric device. It looked like a tube, diameter ca 20 cm,metal outside, insulated with plaster inside, opened on top, you insert the paprika, let it bake several minutes, lift a lid on the bottom, paprika falls out...put it away in a lid covered bowl, to ease the peeling...such vivid memories😁♥️

View attachment 60807
One of my favourites too.

It has been my observation from things I've read, that the color change is due to maturation of the peppers which start out green and then turn red or brownish as they mature.

Poblanos are a good example. They are green as poblanos and after they mature, they turn darker brownish and are dried and given a whole new name - anchos.

View attachment 60807

You might post this in the Salad thread too.

These are what photos I have of the peppers I commonly use, although, not all of them.

full.jpg

Produce at Street Vender Stand which Includes Yellow, Green and Red Bell Peppers

full.jpg

Green Bell Peppers

full.jpg

Stuffed Bell Peppers

full.jpg

Anaheim Pepper

full.jpg

Serrano Peppers (USA)

full.jpg

Habanero Peppers

Back
Top Bottom