Recipe Perfect Pan-Roasted Chicken Thighs

CraigC

Guru
Local time
7:36 PM
I'm posting this recipe as a case in point to the "Cooking Temperatures" thread started by flyinglentris. We were skeptical about way over cooked chicken at first. Once we tried it, we absolutely loved it.

2-4 main-course servings
ACTIVE TIME: 35 minutes TOTAL TIME: 35 minutes Recipe by the Bon Appétit Test Kitchen, June 2011
Ingredients
6 skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/4 pounds)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Preparation
1) Preheat oven to 475°.
2) Season chicken with salt and pepper.
3) Heat oil in a 12" cast-iron or heavy nonstick, oven safe skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking.
4) Nestle chicken in skillet, skin side down, and cook 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-high; continue cooking skin side down, occasionally rearranging chicken thighs and rotating pan to evenly distribute heat, until fat renders and skin is golden brown, about 12 minutes.
5) Transfer skillet to oven and cook 13 more minutes.
6) Flip chicken; continue cooking until skin crisps and meat is cooked through, about 5 minutes longer.
7) Transfer to a plate; let rest 5 minutes before serving.

Sounds nice, but I don't eat the thighs
on account that they have too much fat in them,
& I won't clean it out because it is too time- consuming to do. :headshake:

Last edited:
When I cook chicken thighs (or sometimes breast) they don't even make it to the oven. I just bring them to the boil in a pan of water (or put them in a curry sauce) and then simmer them for about 15 minutes till they are done. If I want them browned, I stick them in a hot frying pan for two or three minutes without fat of any sort.

HMMM - I never boil chicken unless it is for a soup. Even then it is the carcass and a few scraps of meat and skin for flavor.

No, the article this technique was in said it had been developed specifically for thighs because of their relatively equal meatiness and fat in them.

Guess I won't be doing that then. I'll just do them in the oven like I've been doing them. :headshake:

When I cook chicken thighs (or sometimes breast) they don't even make it to the oven. I just bring them to the boil in a pan of water (or put them in a curry sauce) and then simmer them for about 15 minutes till they are done. If I want them browned, I stick them in a hot frying pan for two or three minutes without fat of any sort.

Well I do that sometimes, especially when making soup, but I generally use stock, not water.

Well I do that sometimes, especially when making soup, but I generally use stock, not water.
I do put veg, herbs and spices in with the chicken sometimes for a bit of flavour. It depends what I'm cooking. I do make my own stock, but haven't got any at the moment. I don't like ready make stock or stock cubes as a rule because they've normally got salt in or something I am allergic to.

Back
Top Bottom