Recipe Persian lamb stew

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
5:22 PM

I already had this dish on our menu before the potato challenge started because I've been trying to clean out our freezers and found 2 packages of large chucks of lamb of about 1.5 pounds each. So, I decided to post the recipe since the potatoes are placed so prettily and are a big part of the dish.

I want to make Greek meatballs next week so I took the lamb chunk out and let it thaw enough to cut around the outside to get my stew meat, then wrapped up the still frozen inner piece and put it back in freezer to grind up for meatballs next week.

We really liked this, but just as a personal preference, I'll use less cayenne (a little too spicy for me) and cinammon (palate very sensitive) next time.

Serves 2 to 3, maybe 4 if light eaters or some kind of bread is served.

INGREDIENTS

1/2 Tbsp cumin seed
10 cardamom seeds (not pods, the seeds)
Olive oil
1 large onion, thinly sliced into half moons
1 pound/450 grams lamb meat cut into 3/4 inch (2 cm ish) or so dice
1/2 large garlic head, cloves separated and peeled, left whole
4 shallots, peeled and left whole, but sliced in half horizontally if too large
2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch (0.75 cm) dice
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp English mustard powder
Rounded 1 Tbsp flour
1-1/2 cup (150 ml) lamb or chicken broth
3/4 to 1 pound (350-375 grams) red potatoes, unpeeled, thinly sliced
1 Tbsp melted butter
Sprinkling of dried thyme
Kosher salt and pepper

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 320 F (160 C).

Heat a 10" Dutch oven type pan over medium heat on the stovetop. When hot, add the cardamom and cumin seed. Cook about 2 minutes until fragrant, stirring frequently to avoid burning.

Pour in enough oil to cover bottom of pan. When hot, add the onions and cook until translucent and edges just start to brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add the lamb pieces and cook for several minutes, stirring occasionally, until they get a little color on them. Add the rest of the spices and flour, plus some salt and pepper, then cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring several times to incorporate the flour with the oil and meat juices. Add the stock and stir to mix well. Allow to cook for a couple of minutes, then turn heat off.

Lay the potato slices on top of the stew as pictured above, gently brush with the melted butter, sprinkle lightly with thyme, and salt and pepper.

Cover pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Then remove the cover, increase heat to 400 F (210 C) and cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown. Serve.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom