Philly cheesesteak sliders

I still don't really understand. Is it a steak with Philly cheese on top?
Think of it this way: take a steak (I personally prefer ribeye, and that's what I use when I make them at home), and slice it very, very thinly against the grain, then run your knife through that big pile of meat, to chop it very finely, almost like chipped or minced.

Season with salt and pepper, then into a hot skillet and flash-fried, you want some crunchy bits in there, and at the end, off with the heat and dump in your cheese of choice. Since I don't buy cheez whiz for the house, I use standard American cheese. Keep mixing with your spatula and the residue heat will melt the cheese and that'll coat the steak bits.

Throw that on a good bun/roll, along with fried onions if you like, and that's it (although fried peppers and mushrooms are popular as well).

I've added cheesesteaks to my menu over the next couple of weeks. To tie it in with the other topic that's going on, I'll use ATK's recipe. 😬

Oh - watched the video. I've never seen anything like it. Its all chopped and mushed up! That must be a super tender steak.

Don't get started on Chicago Beef sandwich or Baltimore Pit Beef. :whistling: There are a couple more beef sandwiches from different regions. There are burgers fried in grease that has remnants of 100 year old grease in it. Then there is a Buffalo, NY sandwich called Beef on Wek (which is a roll).

They are amazing!
I concur

, I also like a full Monty French Dip Hoagie.

Reactions: mjd
Don't get started on Chicago Beef sandwich or Baltimore Pit Beef. :whistling: There are a couple more beef sandwiches from different regions. There are burgers fried in grease that has remnants of 100 year old grease in it. Then there is a Buffalo, NY sandwich called Beef on Wek (which is a roll).

Oh, you want to get People in Jersey activated, just mention Pork Roll vs Taylor Ham. :ninja:

It's Pork Roll, BTW. :D

CD

Oh, you want to get People in Jersey activated, just mention Pork Roll vs Taylor Ham. :ninja:

It's Pork Roll, BTW. :D

CD

That is funny, I just saw a product in the Grocery labeled "Taylor Ham Pork Roll". However I was talking about sandwiches that used beef.

Last edited:
I was born in Philadelphia, grew up the the burbs.
the two "famous" steak places make probably the least good steak sandwich in the city.

I was in Indiana - ordered a Philadelphia cheese steak. it came as a thin cut, whole steak on a hamburger bun, topped with swiss cheese.

btw, Cheese Whiz was invented for the Brits.
You'll Say Gee Whiz When You Learn THIS About Cheez Whiz

btw2, a whole lotta ' really good steak sandwichs in Phila are not made with Cheese Whiz....

I don't think it can have been very successful here. I was a kid in the 50's and I certainly didn't have it nor had I heard of it until it was mentioned on this forum.

I cannot imagine anyone wishing to cobble up some Welsh Rarebit would use the stuff.....
I'm certainly not thinking that " difficult-to-make cheese sauce " is anything close to truth either.

btw, Cheese Whiz does not come in an aerosol can ala the video clip.

I cannot imagine anyone wishing to cobble up some Welsh Rarebit would use the stuff.....
I'm certainly not thinking that " difficult-to-make cheese sauce " is anything close to truth either.

btw, Cheese Whiz does not come in an aerosol can ala the video clip.
I don't think the can is aerosol at all anyway. It's some other kind of contraption (something I just learned).

But...if you mean "Cheez Whiz," the brand name, you may be right, but if you mean "cheese whiz" as a generic name for various fake cheese products (like Kleenex is for tissues and Scotch Tape is for cellophane tape), then it does, branded Easy Cheese. Nobody around here calls Easy Cheese by its proper name (matter of fact, I had to look it up), it's always called "cheese whiz." Cheese whiz has transcended Cheez Whiz, if you get my meaning. :)

Sort of like how my granddad used to call me by my brother's name - we both knew what he meant. :)

Now, since we dragged the UK into this, does anyone remember Old English cheese spread? It was/is(?) Cheez Whiz in a sharp cheddar flavor!

I personally would not use King's Hawaiian rolls for Philly Cheesesteak. Too sweet. You want a crusty roll. And, London Broil would not be my choice, either. Ribeye is the right steak. The cheeses offered are American, Provolone, or Chez Whiz. Hummus? A Philly cheesesteak doesn't have mayonnaise, either.

Not saying it is not a good sandwich. If you like it, it was good. But it is a real stretch to call it a Philly Cheesesteak. Just call it a steak, cheese and hummus slider.

MorningGlory, a cheesesteak is short for a Philadelphia (Philly) Cheesesteak. It is a Philadelphia institution.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05Z1VjyTQck

CD

Man that looks so good. I gotta try this. Real soon.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom