Recipe Phirni

swalia

Veteran
Local time
12:10 AM
Phirni is a delicious dessert made of milk and rice.

Ingredients
a few saffron strands
1 ltr milk (full cream)
4 tbsp long grained rice
6 tbsp sugar

For The Garnish
a few chopped almonds
saffron strands

Kesar-Phirni-665x708.jpg

Method

1. Dry roast the saffron strands in a small pan for 10 seconds. Add 1 tbsp of milk and keep aside.
  2. Soak the rice in water for about 1 hour.
  3. Drain, wash and drain again. Pat dry on an absorbent kitchen towel and blend in a mixer to a coarse powder.
  4. Add ½ cup of cold milk and mix well to make a paste. Keep aside.
  5. Boil the rest of the milk and gently stir in the rice paste.
  6. Cook for about 15 minutes on a slow flame, while stirring continuously.
  7. Add the sugar and saffron mixture and simmer for a few minutes.
  8. Pour into earthenware containers and keep aside to cool.
  9. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
  10. Serve chilled garnished with almonds and saffron strands.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks quite easy to cook. Maybe I will be using pistachio nuts to add some color and lovely flavor. I did not know that you can make an interesting dessert from rice. Did you put some cheese on top? I think you can top it with some grated cheese and allow it to melt.

I had heard about phirini, but never tasted the dessert. I even did not know how it was made. The recipe looks easy to make and delicious to eat. Phirini seems to be a different version of kheer (you use rice instead rice paste in kheer).

I am intrigue to say the least. Indian cooking seems to be quite intriguing.
  • Soak the rice in water for about 1 hour.
  • Drain, wash and drain again. Pat dry on an absorbent kitchen towel and blend in a mixer to a coarse powder.
. That right there is something. I really thought I could cook until I came here.

It looks quite easy to cook. Maybe I will be using pistachio nuts to add some color and lovely flavor. I did not know that you can make an interesting dessert from rice. Did you put some cheese on top? I think you can top it with some grated cheese and allow it to melt.

You can use unsalted pistachio. Cheese is not used in phirni. It will ruin the flavor of the dish.

I had heard about phirini, but never tasted the dessert. I even did not know how it was made. The recipe looks easy to make and delicious to eat. Phirini seems to be a different version of kheer (you use rice instead rice paste in kheer).

Yes, it's quite similar to kheer. Only the rice are replaced by rice paste. But this minor change makes a lot of difference.

You can use unsalted pistachio. Cheese is not used in phirni. It will ruin the flavor of the dish.
I love to experiment really, I just thought that adding cheese would be great but let me take your advice because I know it will save me from a lot of frustrations. Thank you for giving me that feedback Swalia.

This is a desert so it would be a bit odd to put cheese on top! The recipe is from the Tarla Dalal website: http://www.tarladalal.com/Phirni-Punjabi-Phirni-Recipe-36354r although the image has been taken from a different source'
If you take a look there it explains more about the recipe.

@swalia, please can you credit recipes copied from other sources. A link to the source is also useful so that people can explore the website. :D

Back
Top Bottom