Photos not displaying correctly

(or anyone else) could you try this link?
Happened almost immediately with no issues.

The likelihood is that it is a combination of factors. I can guarantee it will occur each and every single time I go to Ravelry and only since their upgrade back in June I think it was.

One thing that needs to be factored in that no one had even mentioned is the time lag in your internet service. We both know that mine is very long, it is something that I have mentioned constantly over the last 4 years. But it is a significant factor and needs to be taken into account.

Another factor is how busy your service provider is at the time you are experiencing the issues and that is not something easily measured only perceived.

Again, another factor is how busy is the service you are accessing. In this case Ravelry or CB. but it is not just CB that needs to be considered because the site is hosted (free of charge for us) alongside a much busier service (that of www.cyclechat.net) and a few other small sites.

There are just so many factors to take into account.

For reference I'll check my service speed and time lag and post the results. You'll see that my time lag is usually 10-20 times longer than most people's.

Another factor is how busy your service provider is at the time you are experiencing the issues and that is not something easily measured only perceived.

Again, another factor is how busy is the service you are accessing. In this case Ravelry or CB. but it is not just CB that needs to be considered because the site is hosted (free of charge for us) alongside a much busier service (that of www.cyclechat.net) and a few other small sites.

I do appreciate this but I can assure you that this never happens on any other site. And it has only happened here since the upgrade.

This will give you an idea of my connection issues. Though the time lag is not shown in the first image, I've selected the lowest I had during the 5 minute period of testing.

The time lag is the ping rate. I get a lower ping time at this time of day because the network is quieter. It will start to deteriorate from now and be at its worst come 6pm tonight. If I selected 2am or 3am to test, I'd get a lower ping rate, but my speed will be as good as it gets because the fastest service I can have on satellite broadband is a 25/5 Mbps service. I'm also capped at 150Gb per month peak hours (7am to 1am) and given I've no tv aerial, all tv comes in via satellite broadband as well. We pay a lot for that level of service.

I do appreciate this but I can assure you that this never happens on any other site. And it has only happened here since the upgrade.
My point is that this issue has been going on for much longer and it is only now that you are aware of it because it is only now that it is affecting you. Just because you only witness it on this site doesn't mean it is only this site that is affected. It simply means that you only see it here because of the very limited number of sites that you visit on the internet (compared to the simply colossal ninumbeof sites that exist across the internet as a whole). And it is simply a combination of factors all added together that are causing it to be visible to you now.
I've been affected by it for nearly 5 years and across many sites. I know that Yorky has experienced some of the issues as well. It is one of the many reasons i have been exceptionally reluctant to allow larger file sizes and larger resolution images. I knew that sooner or later these issues would start to be visible to members on faster connections as well as those on slower and more remote, less 'mainstream' connections.

Plus it is entirely possible that there is a new way of displaying larger images now. And what I beleive is probably happening is that initially we are shown the thumbnail stretched to fit the screen that is then filled in and replaced by the fill size image once that had downloaded. Normally you would not see this happen on a fast connection with a very small timelag (or delay) . My TV does this all the time, as do most videos. Another reason I'm against recipes with no method and a watch the video to get it. Not only do i find that difficult, but my connection doesn't like videos or more accurately videos do not like my connection and will often not play until a quarter of it has downloaded, else I spend my time waiting for the video to buffer randomly... my TV will start off very pixalated, then slowly get clearer and clearer until it has managed to buffer enough to be able to play and not empty the buffer immediately. Pausing the video is my only option to establish a larger buffer. But when the network is very busy, I can't even watch SD tv key alone try HD tv programs (and that's ignoring my capped service with HD programs often being 3Gb (per viewing hour) downloads each).

Anyhow there is little point in continuing until CB had been restarted for me. Then I can start the job of disabling all of the site add-ons until I can establish which one may be causing the problem, if it is even one of them. It may simply be that there is nothing to be done except to log it with support for the forum platform and hand it over to a 3rd (or 4th) party to investigate further.

But first things first. Server restart, then all add-ons disabled and establishing if that clears the problem. then I can try to work out which if any add-ons are the problem.

are the pix stored on the same machine as the posts?
it's not the ping between user and posts - it's the lag between 'the system' fetching the pix, cached or not, and the posts machine.

or, poorly written code that get saturated and can't do/finish it's thread. typically when a non-essential thread bogs down, after x msecs, it's terminated. hence the required tweaking and squeaking.

for example,,, I just dumped Avira anti-virus after 30 some years. they've added more and more and more "features" to the point it bogs down my pcs intolerably. basically there's a lot of things that can cause 'time lags' - programs/threads can be set to low priority so they don't interfere with what the user is trying to do....
if they care to think about it....

I too have had the odd interruption,no more than some other sites, one site I don't bother trying to look at pics. And that site recently updated too.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom