Photos not displaying correctly

Again just now with current internet speed:

it's not not an issue of your connection.
it's an issue of the 'totally out of user control' bits and pieces responding to each other

SatNav has the details.

Please remember that it is not just the internet speed at the time that needs to be factored into the equation. There are very many places that can be running slowly at the same time and there are way too many to explain it. Just because your connection is good doesn't mean everything else is. Text will always come through first because that is the way things work.

All you can do if to force a refresh of the page telling it to check again. Ctrl+F5 on Windows systems, CMD+F5 (I think that's what it is on Apple) on Apple systems.

On smartphones and tablets all you can do is a browser refresh/reload using the menu system or the icon to the site of the address bar. Sadly those is the equivalent of F5 not Ctrl+F5 so does not tell your ISP to get a new copy of the page you are on and won't necessarily clear the problem on the first few attempts.

This is something I know of from bitter experience having lived with pages not updating at all (for 4½ years now), rather than not displaying an image properly and is beyond my control. It is your ISP caching the site that is the issue and not a CB problem.

Site caching is a very common 'solution' employed by many companies to make the internet look faster whilst at the same time reducing internet traffic on commonly used sites such as the Google search page (your results are different they are live, but the Google search page is copied once a day (period set by ISP) and people shown a copy until you actually use the search button. Common searches can also be cached and the first page out results cached as well. I know because I used to run such a system at my last employment to reduce internet traffic as much as possible).

At some point tomorrow I will clear the CloudFlare cache of our site (they are employed to try to increase the speed of the site with a number of caches in major countries throughout the world). This may help with the problem, it may not. All I can do is try. But when only 1 person is experiencing the issue on a regular basis, it is usually an indication of a machine problem rather than a wider problem. If it was a server problem I would expect everyone who tries to view that image to have the same problem.

Again just now with current internet speed:

View attachment 53141

View attachment 53142
My first attempt at this page (for reference page 28 of the what did you cook today December thread) loaded fine and generally if there is an issue with server speed I'd see it because I have one of the slowest connections here and certainly the longest time lag.

There are just too many possible problems and the site hoster has looked into this issue for me and found nothing.

I am seeing a lot of photos like this over the last few months, in Your Photos especially. Only the top inch or two shows up, and refreshing the screen doesn't work. Hmmmmmm.

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 3.42.29 AM.jpg

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be. I keep my own photos to no more than 1200 pixels in either direction.

CD

I tend to use either 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio on the camera although that's only really relevant for the full size images. I store images at full size, but I also store a reduced size (c. 1600 x 1200 or 1600 x 900) for publication on the net. In order to reduce the size further, I save the reduced size copies at 75% quality.

I am seeing a lot of photos like this over the last few months, in this thread especially. Only the top inch or two shows up, and refreshing the screen doesn't work. Hmmmmmm.

View attachment 68002

CD
When that happens to me, I don't refresh the page, I just click the image to display it on its own, and then when I close that, it's fine in the feed.

When that happens to me, I don't refresh the page, I just click the image to display it on its own, and then when I close that, it's fine in the feed.

That works sometimes for me, but not always -- maybe 50/50. I can't even open the photo when it doesn't work.

CD

Yorky
Given that you mostly use the media gallery rather than embedding images directly into the thread, does it only happen for images in the thread or for media gallery images as well?

And is it mostly this thread or (other long threads with lots of photos) or short threads as well?

For me, I just get a blank (white) space until I wait long enough, but given I'm on satellite broadband, I'm used to waiting whereas I don't think others are.

Yorky
Given that you mostly use the media gallery rather than embedding images directly into the thread, does it only happen for images in the thread or for media gallery images as well?

And is it mostly this thread or (other long threads with lots of photos) or short threads as well?

For me, I just get a blank (white) space until I wait long enough, but given I'm on satellite broadband, I'm used to waiting whereas I don't think others are.

I'm not Yorky, but I see it more in this thread than in others. Probably the next most often is in the "What did you Cook" threads. Both have a lot of photos.

CD

Yorky
I rarely have a problem with viewing images. Any that I do have I've put down to hiccoughs with my ISP.

Yorky

It happens for gallery images. Earlier I couldn't view the image in the recipe that Yorky posted in his chicken recipe. It happens for embedded images too. Example of embedded image today:

Back
Top Bottom