Pick your garlic carefully

I just grow my own as well (lots and lots of the stuff). When I run out, I buy local stuff. We have numerous garlic farms in the area, one just down the road from us, another excellent one 90 mins drive away. It's garlic is sold locally in supermarkets closer to home.

I avoid imported produce from most countries to be honest. I'd rather buy locally or manage without than add to an increasing environmental problem irrespective of how something is being grown. Grown at home I know exactly what is going on my produce.

I live near Gilroy so my fancy grocery store gets it from there. lately, some of my garlic bulbs have some black mold in them. bums me out.

I bought my recent bulbs from a local grower. they look amazing. around here, China garlic comes in those panty hose like tubes. maybe 5 bulbs per tube. blows my mind that it is so much cheaper than my local stuff, despite it comes from the other side of the planet. crazy. eat local. but it might not be the cheapest option.

I live near Gilroy so my fancy grocery store gets it from there. lately, some of my garlic bulbs have some black mold in them. bums me out.

I bought my recent bulbs from a local grower. they look amazing. around here, China garlic comes in those panty hose like tubes. maybe 5 bulbs per tube. blows my mind that it is so much cheaper than my local stuff, despite it comes from the other side of the planet. crazy. eat local. but it might not be the cheapest option.
The majority of us tend to not care so much if we spend a bit extra on good quality. Also, I prefer supporting our local businesses anyway, especially small-to-medium independent grocers and specialty places,

Back
Top Bottom