Recipe Pickled shrimp and vegetables

medtran49

Forum GOD!
Local time
10:41 AM
20230730_172546.jpg

I put a half recipe of this together for dinner for me and Craig tomorrow. It's a nice, cool, light dinner for hot summer days. The original recipe was from ATK, but I wanted vegetables besides red onions, plus I like fennel fronds better than dill.

Serves 4

2 pounds U-15 shrimp in shell

1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 medium garlic cloves, smashed, peeled and very rough chopped
3 Bay leaves
1 tsp allspice berries
1 tsp coriander seeds
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

1 cup EVOO
1/4 cup small capers, minced
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp hot sauce
1 Tbsp Worchestershire sauce

1 medium carrot, peeled, cut into 2 equal lengths, then julienned
1/2 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled seeded, sliced in 1/4 inch or so strips
1/2 medium sized red onion, 1/4 inch slices lengthwise
1/3 to 1/4 small fennel bulb, sliced vertically into 1/4 inch strips
Around six 1 inch pieces of fennel fronds
1 lemon cut in half crosswise, then into 4 wedges each piece

Using a steamer basket, steam shrimp until just done. Remove from pan and allow to cool in single layer. Once cool, remove shell, tail and black vein, discard. Set shrimp aside.

Rinse above pan, add water to bottom and steam carrots until about half way to crisp tender. Add red onion and fennel pieces and continue to steam until carrots are just crisp tender. Remove basket and allow vegetables to cool.

Rinse pan and add the ingredients of cider vinegar down to the red pepper flakes. Bring to just a simmer, remove from heat and allow to cool.

Place the shrimp, all vegetables, fronds and lemon wedges in a large glass jar. For a whole recipe, I use an apothecary jar that holds 6-7 cups. Layer them so the ingredients are mixed.

When vinegar mixture is cool, add the group of ingredients starting with EVOO and ending with Worchestershire sauce. Whisk together.

Pour mixture over shrimp and vegetables. Push down if necessary to submerge. Close jar and refrigerate for 8 to 36 hours, swirling to mix occasionally. I usually marinate overnight.

Let come to almost temperature, then remove shrimp and vegetables to a serving bowl and serve with crackers or thinly sliced toasts.

I like to serve deviled eggs with these as well.

Last edited:
YUM
Pics to come

I put a half recipe of this together for dinner for me and Craig tomorrow. It's a nice, cool, light dinner for hot summer days. The original recipe was from ATK, but I wanted vegetables besides red onions, plus I like fennel fronds better than dill.

Serves 4

1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 Bay leaves
1 tsp allspice berries
1 tsp coriander seeds

1 cup EVOO
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp hot sauce

1/2 large red bell pepper, roasted, peeled seeded, sliced in 1/4 inch or so strips

Using a steamer basket, steam shrimp until just done. Remove from pan and allow to cool in single layer. Once cool, remove shell, tail and black vein, discard. Set shrimp aside.

Rinse above pan, add water to bottom and steam carrots until about half way to crisp tender. Add red onion and fennel pieces and continue to steam until carrots are just crisp tender. Remove basket and allow vegetables to cool.

Rinse pan and add the ingredients of cider vinegar down to the red pepper flakes. Bring to just a simmer, remove from heat and allow to cool.

Place the shrimp, all vegetables, fronds and lemon wedges in a large glass jar. For a whole recipe, I use an apothecary jar that holds 6-7 cups. Layer them so the ingredients are mixed.

When vinegar mixture is cool, add the group of ingredients starting with EVOO and ending with Worchestershire sauce. Whisk together.

Pour mixture over shrimp and vegetables. Push down if necessary to submerge. Close jar and refrigerate for 8 to 36 hours, swirling to mix occasionally. I usually marinate overnight.

Remove shrimp and vegetables to a serving bowl and serve with crackers or thinly sliced toasts.

Yum!! Any chance you could post a picture, please?

Pics to come

YUM

Yum!! Any chance you could post a picture, please?

As above.

Thanks, they are pretty good. My husband much prefers them over cocktail shrimp.

Pics to come

Serves 4

1 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
3 Bay leaves
1 tsp allspice berries
1 tsp coriander seeds

1 cup EVOO
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp hot sauce

Let come to almost temperature, then remove shrimp and vegetables to a serving bowl and serve with crackers or thinly sliced toasts.

How interesting! It does sound lovely and the sort of light seafood dish I would like. Can the shrimp be left pickled for longer?

Well, we are going to find out because we had a really late lunch today because of errands and neither one of us is hungry.

Well, we are going to find out because we had a really late lunch today because of errands and neither one of us is hungry.

The only thing that worries me is the acid in the vinegar. Perhaps the pre-cooking of the shrimp will protect them.

CD

The only thing that worries me is the acid in the vinegar. Perhaps the pre-cooking of the shrimp will protect them.

CD
ATK's recipe says they can pickle up to 48 hours but I thought that was a bit much for precisely that same reason, so I shortened the max time.

We have had these twice before. The first time was about 24 hours, the second was about 10 hours. We liked the ones at about 24 hours better, though the 10 hour batch was still good.

This batch will be a little over 48 by the time we eat so we'll see.

Picture at top.

I forgot to mention, make sure anyone eating these knows there may be allspice berries and coriander seeds in with the shrimp and veges. I can't imagine they would be pleasant to bite down on.

The shrimp were fine with the 48 hour ish pickling time. The veges, however, were pretty tangy. They were be no means inedible, but I'd rather have them at the 24 to 30 hour time frame.

Back
Top Bottom