Pickles

After I read this, I checked the lime pickle status and found an unopened jar of Patak's in the kitchen cupboard. We had been using a Tesco lime pickle (which may or may not have been made by Patak's anyway - it didn't seem too dissimilar). The only thing for it was to open the jar and see what was inside. While it was clearly lime pickle, it did seem a bit different. I thought it was rather cloying. Of course, this may have been some form of psychosomatic reaction, having had the warning beforehand.

We have here the papaya pickle that we call ATSARA or Achara. It is made of unripe papaya as the main ingredient. The papaya is grated in strips like the thin noodles. The pickling medium is vinegar and sugar that is boiled before including the grated papaya and some other garnishings like small onions, bitter gourd slices, carrot strips and even boiled quail eggs. The pickled papaya is preserved and it can last for months even when not refrigerated. It is best eaten with roasted pork.

We have here the papaya pickle that we call ATSARA or Achara. It is made of unripe papaya as the main ingredient. The papaya is grated in strips like the thin noodles. The pickling medium is vinegar and sugar that is boiled before including the grated papaya and some other garnishings like small onions, bitter gourd slices, carrot strips and even boiled quail eggs. The pickled papaya is preserved and it can last for months even when not refrigerated. It is best eaten with roasted pork.
I was totally with you there as I have made my own Papaya pickle. But then you mentioned Quail's eggs! How does that work? Are they put into the pickling solution whole?

Well that is fascinating. It might be why I wasn't that keen on the last jar I bought. Did you notice any difference?

A fuller test of the lime pickle today, with a good splat onto a dahl. The Duck masses (okay, both of us) felt it was a bit drier than usual. It lacked a bit of juice and also seemed rather thin in flavour.

A fuller test of the lime pickle today, with a good splat onto a dahl. The Duck masses (okay, both of us) felt it was a bit drier than usual. It lacked a bit of juice and also seemed rather thin in flavour.
Well, the jar I have in the cupboard says 'new recipe' on it. The jar I saw in Waitrose today didn't. So I'm assuming I have the one that people complained abut. I really should have bought the one today to compare - but it seemed a little silly, given that the other jar is half full! I had some of mine lat night and thought it tasted a bit 'waxy' and there was less liquid, as you say. Does your jar say 'new recipe'?

Well, the jar I have in the cupboard says 'new recipe' on it. The jar I saw in Waitrose today didn't. So I'm assuming I have the one that people complained abut. I really should have bought the one today to compare - but it seemed a little silly, given that the other jar is half full! I had some of mine lat night and thought it tasted a bit 'waxy' and there was less liquid, as you say. Does your jar say 'new recipe'?

Nothing - it doesn't say 'new', 'old' or anything that gives a hint. I'm assuming that it was the new one, but I can't remember when we got it. It might have been there for a while, as stuff got left in cupboards during last year's emergency evacuation of The Duckhouse.

I was totally with you there as I have made my own Papaya pickle. But then you mentioned Quail's eggs! How does that work? Are they put into the pickling solution whole?

The quail egg is boiled first then shelled and set aside. When the pickling is done on the stove, that's the time to include the quail eggs. As per my father and brothers, the pickled quail egg is a good match for the beer. By the way, they also love the small onions that we call Indian onions. Some other garnishing is the the white turnip which we cut into strips and included in the pickling together with ginger strips also. And for a unique ingredient that goes with the pickled papaya, try the ubod or young coconut core.

One thing that I didn't take into account re Patak's lime pickle; there are hot and medium versions of it. We have the medium, not so much by choice, but more because it's the only one that appears in shops round here. I haven't seen or tasted the hot one for some time. Presumably, they produced "new" recipes for both.

I really want to try making my own pickles. I want to make the deli style ones like Claussen I think it is. The ones you see in the refrigerated section at the store. They aren't all limp and wimpy. They have a nice crispness and crunch. Yummy.

One thing that I didn't take into account re Patak's lime pickle; there are hot and medium versions of it. We have the medium, not so much by choice, but more because it's the only one that appears in shops round here. I haven't seen or tasted the hot one for some time. Presumably, they produced "new" recipes for both.
I have tried the hot one and its...well...hotter! But I don't know if they did a new version. My Medium jar is definitely the new one. I thought I'd copy out the ingredients so you can compare it with yours.... goes off to get the jar.....

Here's what it says on the label
Photo on 27-02-2016 at 13.05 #2.jpg

The blurb on the green bit says
'Full of juicy limes we've improved the Indian restaurant classic by adding delicious whole spices like kalonji and fennel seeds. With less oil our new recipe takes the tangy favourite to a new level of tastiness.'
The rest is just general blurb.
Be interesting to compare ingredients.

I do like pickles, my favorite is the bread and butter pickle, a little on the sweet side. I think it is suppose to go with burgers but I eat it straight from the jar.

When I was a kid my mom made a chutney with pears and raisins which was really good. I have not seen it in stores, it may have been just something she liked to put up for later.

Back
Top Bottom