Pig brains?

queenbellevue

Veteran
Local time
8:29 PM
Just wondering, has anyone ever cooked with this interesting protein? When I was growing up, my mum used to steam the brains in the rice cooker and my sister and I would have them with mushrooms. I remember it was really good, the consistency was like a mousse and the flavor was pretty mild.

Not had pig brain, but I did eat a sheep brain curry in India a long time ago.

I'm not sure how easy brains are to find these days - I think they went off the menu in the UK when BSE came along.

We buy whole pigs heads for next to nothing ,easy to split them for the brain if that's your thing,have eaten the brain ,with scrambled eggs,soak,de membrane and fry but we use the cheeks etc for croquettes or terrines,have used lambs brains in salads with capers and orange

We buy whole pigs heads for next to nothing ,easy to split them for the brain if that's your thing,have eaten the brain ,with scrambled eggs,soak,de membrane and fry but we use the cheeks etc for croquettes or terrines,have used lambs brains in salads with capers and orange

Omg fried brains. That sounds amazing. Did you use a recipe for that or just winged it?

Winged it , you can also get pigs brain frozen in tubs ready to go and in tins in some parts of the globe

We sometimes used pig brains in a special noodle soup called "batchoy". It is a noodle soup with pork liver and meat or chicken meat with eggs. We also added some chicharon to add some taste. At first I find the taste quite different but it is very delicious. You can find a recipe of it in the internet.

Winged it , you can also get pigs brain frozen in tubs ready to go and in tins in some parts of the globe

Frozen brains in tins?? You're joking. I've never even thought that that was possible. By the way, from the way you said tin and not "can", I'm assuming you're hailing from Australia/Britain?

I really don't like the sound of this at all! Especially as another poster has described them as having a texture like mousse! I was intrigued by the tinned brains though and managed to find this picture..

brain.jpg

We can make different kind of recipes for pig brains and it differs to places where they had their own specialty for this kind of food. I had taste already fried pig brains and it is surprisingly delicious! But there are studies that eating this part portion of the pig which is the brain is very high in cholesterol and if you will eat regularly is bad for our health.

Back
Top Bottom