Pineapple and chicken?

angelicagapit

Veteran
Local time
10:31 PM
What do you guys think of this combination?

Pineapple chicken is actually a popular Filipino dish. It's creamy, sweet, and salty all at the same time, and I swear to you, you will love it.

I just wanted to know if any of you guys tried this combination in any way?

I often throw pineapple onto a pizza. Works especially well with chicken pizza though it does fit in well with the others too. Haven't tried the filippino dish but it does sound great.

I have only ever tried chicken and pineapple together on a pizza. It was tasty though and the Filipino dish you describe sounds rather nice too. Do you have a recipe at all?

What do you guys think of this combination?

Pineapple chicken is actually a popular Filipino dish. It's creamy, sweet, and salty all at the same time, and I swear to you, you will love it.

I just wanted to know if any of you guys tried this combination in any way?

I have done pineapple chicken before but mostly with my own twist on a recipe I would have found ages ago. I would be happy if you could provide me with a recipe of your Filipino chicken. Creamy, sweet, and salty should be an interesting combination for the household. I saw pineapple and chicken in the same phrase and I got excited. There are two of my favorite things, but not necessarily combined.

Last edited:
I often order sweet and sour chicken from the chinese restaurants, it's always served with pineapple and green peppers. It's a great combination with the chicken.

Actually only yesterday I surprised my brother with a version of my pineapple chicken. I heard he was having guest, got a little scoop of what he was preparing and surprised him with the dish. I always prepare dishes with my own flavor and experiment as I go along, still sticking closely to my original idea. In the end it turned out quite fine.

I am still waiting on the Filipino recipe.

I wouldn't consider it uncommon here in the US at all. You could walk into just about any chain restaurant from Applebees to Denny's to Perkins and order some sort of "Hawaiian Grilled Chicken" type dish off of their menu, and it will come with a slice of grilled pineapple on top. Granted it's usually some processed canned slice of pineapple rather than fresh, but still. In fact, when I worked at TGI Fridays, they included grilled pineapple with all of their "Jack Daniels Glazed" entrees. Sweet & Sour dishes are very popular in the US. They were one of the few chain restaurants that actually use fresh pineapple, and the only reason I remember is because we used to snack on it all day at work, lol.

You mentioned it being "creamy" though which sounds interesting. Is there some sort of Filipino style recipe that uses cream or coconut milk along with the pineapple? That would be new to me, and would love to see and try out the recipe.

The main thing I really don't like in combination with pineapple would be tomato or tomato based sauces. There is something about the flavors of both together which gives me an upset stomach. Even more odd considering they are both fruits.

Yeah I tried it. I really like the taste. I have also tried for ducks and it works perfectly well. Yummy.

I do like the sweet and sour pineapple that we get on the chinese food we order. It would be nice to see the recipe.

This Filipino dish "Pineapple Chicken" is really a delicious one especially its creamy sauce. My recipe version for this dish. Saute garlic and onion then put the chopped chicken and salt to taste and continue to saute and let it simmer. Then put the sweet pineapple chunks in can together with its juice ( fresh pineapple can be use but be sure it is not too sour) and continue cooking. If half cook already put bell pepper ( either red or green). Then lastly add grated cheese and fresh milk in the right quantity only and continue cooking until the sauce thickens and already cooked. (Others use coconut milk or cream and it depends which one taste better for you. But I always use fresh milk). You will surely love the taste of this dish :)

This Filipino dish "Pineapple Chicken" is really a delicious one especially its creamy sauce. My recipe version for this dish. Saute garlic and onion then put the chopped chicken and salt to taste and continue to saute and let it simmer. Then put the sweet pineapple chunks in can together with its juice ( fresh pineapple can be use but be sure it is not too sour) and continue cooking. If half cook already put bell pepper ( either red or green). Then lastly add grated cheese and fresh milk in the right quantity only and continue cooking until the sauce thickens and already cooked. (Others use coconut milk or cream and it depends which one taste better for you. But I always use fresh milk). You will surely love the taste of this dish :)
We used coconut water instead of coconut milk. It adds additional sweet taste to the chicken. I haven't tried fresh milk but maybe I will try to see the difference.

I have done pineapple chicken on numerous occasions at it's just heavenly; i especially like when there is lots of ginger, green bell peppers and dried pimento seeds added to it. I never get tired of having my chicken this way.

I have made a pineapple and ginger ketchup today ,it's a take on a marco Pierre White recipe for a prawn dish ,but would work with chicken with some buttery sauté potatoes and spinach quite nicely

A lot of American Chinese food in my area likes to pair pineapple & chicken. I don't mind it. I have the type of tastes where I love a Mangolada which is basically mango, mango sherbert, hot spices, & hot sauce that's salty. So, pairing something salty & sweet is something I'm immensely familiar with. Chicken with pineapple is great to pair with rice. Also, a dash of heat always kicks it up a notch.

I have made a pineapple and ginger ketchup today ,it's a take on a marco Pierre White recipe for a prawn dish ,but would work with chicken with some buttery sauté potatoes and spinach quite nicely

I went to check out the marco Pierre White recipe but I stopped at the download. Not sure if I should have. Anyway, I was just curious about pineapple and ginger ketchup, which I might have tried some time back. Is this recipe in the link below your pineapple and ginger ketchup? I am happy to get your take in the simplest terms for a green cook alongside a chef.:)

http://www.food.com/recipe/pineapple-ketchup-103171

Back
Top Bottom