Pizza dough

valedevento

Veteran
Local time
1:49 AM
Every time I make pizza at home I have a problem getting the crust light and crispy. I have tried different recipes and different kinds of flours, but it never rises properly, no matter how much yeast I add. I made pizza dough once at a friend's house with a bread maker and it was really nice. Is it just a matter of kneading the dough more? Any tips or recipes are welcome.

Making pizza dough is just like making bread: you need yeast (for rising) and kneading (to develop the gluten). In fact I make pizza dough in exactly the same way as I make bread and it seems to work.

I use a stand mixer (but you can also do it by hand) to knead everything until its smooth and silky and getting stretchy, then I cover the bowl and leave it to prove for an hour or so (until its about doubled in size). Then its time to knock it back and roll it out - I use semolina for rolling out instead of more flour. And I roll it out slightly larger than I really need because it always shrinks back again.

To get a crispy base I've found two things help: using a pizza stone in the oven and rolling the base thinly.

Makes one large pizza (about 10-12"):
- 250g flour (strong white, or 00 flour)
- 150ml water
- 7g instant yeast
- About a tablespoon of olive oil
- About half a teaspoon of salt, and the same of sugar (though I often leave out the sugar and it seems to work ok without it)

I don't know when last I made pizza dough.It was ages ago when my sister was alive. I would call her and she would be give me instructions on how to proceed. If I must have home made pizza I get it from the supermarket ready done. Thanks for the recipe MrsDangerMouse.

Last edited:
I have not made pizza dough in years, not since my children are grown and on their own. We use to make pizza on Saturday night and watch movies. It was our family night. They use to make it themselves. Thanks for the recipe I will have to make one sometime.

Making pizza dough is just like making bread: you need yeast (for rising) and kneading (to develop the gluten). In fact I make pizza dough in exactly the same way as I make bread and it seems to work.

I use a stand mixer (but you can also do it by hand) to knead everything until its smooth and silky and getting stretchy, then I cover the bowl and leave it to prove for an hour or so (until its about doubled in size). Then its time to knock it back and roll it out - I use semolina for rolling out instead of more flour. And I roll it out slightly larger than I really need because it always shrinks back again.

To get a crispy base I've found two things help: using a pizza stone in the oven and rolling the base thinly.

Makes one large pizza (about 10-12"):
- 250g flour (strong white, or 00 flour)
- 150ml water
- 7g instant yeast
- About a tablespoon of olive oil
- About half a teaspoon of salt, and the same of sugar (though I often leave out the sugar and it seems to work ok without it)
Pretty well exactly what I do. Like you I use semolina to roll. And I use a pizza stone pre-heated in a fierce oven. Then I transfer the rolled pizza onto the stone using an improvised pizza shovel! Its actually a flat baking tray which has a sort of handle on one side.

I have not made pizza dough in years, not since my children are grown and on their own. We use to make pizza on Saturday night and watch movies. It was our family night. They use to make it themselves. Thanks for the recipe I will have to make one sometime.
Parsnip pizza? :laugh: http://main.colavita.com/roasted-ka...otta-cheese-with-al-fresco-chicken-sausage-2/
AF_kale.jpg

I have the same challenges as well every time I try to make pizza dough from scratch. Most of the time, it the dough never doubles in just an hour - it usually takes like 2-3 hours. And this is even when I am putting it in my oven with the light on inside, to keep it from any drafts. Then when I flatten it down, dust it with flour, and dump it out on a floured surface to stretch it into a pizza, I get one of two things happen: 1.) The dough tears easily no matter how carefully I try to work it into a pizza crust, or 2.) the dough keeps snapping back into a ball no matter how much I try to stretch it out.

Then when I try to bake it in the oven, it barely rises, and often sticks to the pan. Ironcially, I used to work at a pizza shop for many years (though I never made the dough there). I do recall that they would grease their pizza pans with vegetable shortening, and would let the dough rise for a second time in the pan itself, covered, before using it to make a pizza. So that may be something to try.

Back
Top Bottom