Pizza on the Grill

dashboardc33

Veteran
Local time
9:09 PM
I picked up a frozen pizza the other day (not very healthy I know :). ) But I thought it would be a quick meal for us. As I was looking at the packaging and cooking instructions it said that it could be put on the grill as well. Has anyone tried a frozen pizza, or any pizza for that matter on the grill? It seems as though it would make the crust too crunchy and it would burn easily.

It CAN be done, yes, but I've never tried it. Very tough to control the heat source which is my biggest gripe with it. One tip is to put plenty of olive oil into the griddle so that when the pizza cooks, the crust is deep fried in that oil and becomes super crunchy

It's not necessarily too crispy. It really depends on how you form the fire in your grill. I'm specifically talking charcoal here. I've never worked with a frozen pizza on the grill but I have worked with a homemade pizza (which one could argue is easier to burn)> I made it a point to lay the pizza on one side of the grill cooking it with indirect heat. Came out perfectly fine.

I've been noticing that on packaging lately too, and I thought it seemed a bit strange. I guess if you did it like Joan said, it would work. I was thinking it would be gas grills that they were talking about, but adjusting the coals makes sense. I'm sure my husband could pull it off, but i don't think I'll be trying it any time soon.

I'm getting a tad confused. Are we talking about barbecue grills here or a grill as you would describe it in the UK? It's just that it's quite common to cook a pizza under the grill here in the UK. Whilst the cheese and toppings cook perfectly, you can still be left with a base which is over-crispy on the outside yet soggy int he middle.

I'm getting a tad confused. Are we talking about barbecue grills here or a grill as you would describe it in the UK? It's just that it's quite common to cook a pizza under the grill here in the UK. Whilst the cheese and toppings cook perfectly, you can still be left with a base which is over-crispy on the outside yet soggy int he middle.

The raw dough in the shape of the traditional pizza is usually placed on the BBQ grill, cooked on one side, flipped over to cook the other side and then the toppings are placed on it. Usually, the cover is closed for a few minutes to melt the cheese. :wink:

The raw dough in the shape of the traditional pizza is usually placed on the BBQ grill, cooked on one side, flipped over to cook the other side and then the toppings are placed on it. Usually, the cover is closed for a few minutes to melt the cheese. :wink:

I see! So the cheese and the toppings are melted by steam and heat - it's a lot like those burger covers we were talking about the other day!

Now this is something i've never done. I have heard of people cooking pizza on the grill and can only wonder how well it taste. I bet you this is some of the best smoked pizza around. i would love to try this. I can imagine that the crust has a smoked taste. I am wondering if I would be able to pull this one off.

I love putting frozen pizza on the gril occasionally, But it always seems like such a waste of the time it takes to get the charcoal going,, and then waste those lovely,hot coals. So I always plan to put a pork roast or a thick chuch roast on the grill afterward to use for another meal or even sandwiches. I also have a pizza pan with holes in it so I can make pizza from scratch and put it on the grill. So good. It is super nice in the summer time because you do not heat up the kitchen using the oven and you get double duty out of those precious hot coals.

When we have pizza delivered, it is always 2 family size just to be sure that we would have some leftovers. For us, pizza is best when heated in the oven toaster. The crust becomes crunchy and the toppings meld with the crust particularly the melted cheese. I could eat 2 slices of pizza when delivered but I can maybe finish 3 slices of the leftover.

I have cooked pizza on the grill before but never a frozen one. I am not sure how well that would cook from frozen. Whenever I made pizza on the grill it was homemade so it seemed to cook pretty good. You could smell it all through the neighborhood. It wasn't long before I had all the neighborhood kids over looking for a slice of pizza. It was a huge hit.

Now this is something I have never done. I really do not think to be honest that I would ever try cooking pizza on a grill though it sounds interesting. I bet it has a different smoked taste.

Back
Top Bottom