Plans for today (2019-2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We did have to run out and replace our coffee maker, which we don't use to make coffee, we use it to brew tea. Works really well. The old one died this morning, so I have to get the new one washed and set up and ready to go for later tonight.

That is so odd! Why not make it in a teapot?

That is so odd! Why not make it in a teapot?
We have three ways we make tea in our house (maybe six, if you count using bags and loose-leaf separately):

1. Small automatic-drip coffee maker. This works surprisingly well, because the basket holds the water long enough to allow a decent steep. We'll either chuck a couple of bags in the basket or use a paper filter and loose-leaf tea.

This is my wife's preferred method, because it's easy and the pot sits on a warmer. She's a slow tea drinker.

2. Keurig, with either pods or with teabags. The easiest in the short term, but the result is, at best one or two cups of tea (unless emptying all the water it holds over several teabags or loose tea in a big glass jug). Also, it's not quite boiling, so that's not so good.

3. The good old-fashioned method of warming a teapot, heating water in a kettle, and brewing the tea. This is the most time-consuming and the most trouble, and the tea goes cold too quickly (unless you drink loads of tea quickly). This is my preferred method.

It also dirties the most dishes, and uses the most water, because I brew the tea in one vessel, then transfer it to the teapot to hold it, so to speak. I use water to warm the brewing vessel, warm the teapot, warm the cup, and then the water for actual boiling. For approximately four cups of tea (meaning 32oz, one teapot), that's about 10 cups (meaning 80oz) of water.

This all gets really involved because I get kind of particular about things. I don't like putting loose tea in the teapot because it's a real chore to get it back out (the tops on all my pots are fairly small), and if the tea sits in there with the leaves more than a few minutes, it gets bitter, and I don't like putting loose tea in any kind of strainer or bag because the whole point of loose tea is that it's able to "swim" in the water and really soak freely in it, and expand and all that. It can't do that wadded up in a strainer or a bit of cheesecloth.

poker game tonight!

Getting these babies into play!

20190802_184003_1564788480752.jpeg
20190724_182216.jpg

We have three ways we make tea in our house (maybe six, if you count using bags and loose-leaf separately):

1. Small automatic-drip coffee maker. This works surprisingly well, because the basket holds the water long enough to allow a decent steep. We'll either chuck a couple of bags in the basket or use a paper filter and loose-leaf tea.

This is my wife's preferred method, because it's easy and the pot sits on a warmer. She's a slow tea drinker.

2. Keurig, with either pods or with teabags. The easiest in the short term, but the result is, at best one or two cups of tea (unless emptying all the water it holds over several teabags or loose tea in a big glass jug). Also, it's not quite boiling, so that's not so good.

3. The good old-fashioned method of warming a teapot, heating water in a kettle, and brewing the tea. This is the most time-consuming and the most trouble, and the tea goes cold too quickly (unless you drink loads of tea quickly). This is my preferred method.

It also dirties the most dishes, and uses the most water, because I brew the tea in one vessel, then transfer it to the teapot to hold it, so to speak. I use water to warm the brewing vessel, warm the teapot, warm the cup, and then the water for actual boiling. For approximately four cups of tea (meaning 32oz, one teapot), that's about 10 cups (meaning 80oz) of water.

This all gets really involved because I get kind of particular about things. I don't like putting loose tea in the teapot because it's a real chore to get it back out (the tops on all my pots are fairly small), and if the tea sits in there with the leaves more than a few minutes, it gets bitter, and I don't like putting loose tea in any kind of strainer or bag because the whole point of loose tea is that it's able to "swim" in the water and really soak freely in it, and expand and all that. It can't do that wadded up in a strainer or a bit of cheesecloth.

I need to think about this overnight!

@morning glory - add this to your food...er ...tea for thought:

This is the tea brewed the first way, with the auto-drip maker. Took maybe five minutes while I finished up some dishes, and you can see it's a deep, rich color. It works fairly well.
EAF100D5-45CB-45ED-87D6-50B84DAB1A81.jpeg
37C9A5AC-1A3D-4925-9FFD-7A7053BB9BFB.jpeg

2 ways here, wife only drinks hot chocolate, no coffee or tea for her.

First. Boil the jug, wife chocolate, me two tea bags in a cup.
Second. Just for me, one cup water, microwave full at 2:45 , add tea bags sugar and milk.

Russ

2 ways here, wife only drinks hot chocolate, no coffee or tea for her.

First. Boil the jug, wife chocolate, me two tea bags in a cup.
Second. Just for me, one cup water, microwave full at 2:45 , add tea bags sugar and milk.

Russ

This seems to be in the wrong thread? But not sure where it was meant to be...

This morning we are going grocery shopping, the store is a short distance from our local branch of Boots, so once the shopping is done my husband is going home and I am going to Boots to collect my new glasses and sunglasses.

After breakfast, I'm off to the local DIY store in search of a new kitchen trash can. The old one is a step-on can And the step mechanism no longer works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom