Plans for today (2024)

Something my mom would never have known about. :eek:

CD

Well it's different times isn't it.

Families should be relaxed enough in each other's company to be open and honest without fear of disapproval. How else can we foster good relationships and properly help each other.

My boys feel they can speak to us about pretty much anything because they know if they ask for advice it's just knowledge passed on to them from someone on their side, someone who has more life experience. They also know that they are completely free to ignore what we say without recrimination.

I won't tell you about the conversation we had last week about gay sex then, you might damage your jaw when it hit's the floor 😆

But yes it is very different to the way a lot of us previous generations were brought up.

I worked for a couple of hours last night, so I’m planning on taking it pretty easy today.

MrsT has said that she wants a something from the local bar & grill, so that’s supper sorted.

I still find it odd, either medication is needed on prescription or it's not, I'm not sure any medical professional here could admit someone to a hospital, take down their current medical history and medications then decide they're not important without it being a deliberate med review.

Other than painkillers taken as and when needed. That I can see being skipped.

I only have a couple of meds I have to take on a regular basis. Most of my meds are "as needed."

CD

I only have a couple of meds I have to take on a regular basis. Most of my meds are "as needed."

CD
Still can't get my head around it. You have a couple of regular meds, they know what they are but don't administer them.

Maybe there's a tacit understanding by the staff about the hospital charging procedures, they know people sneak in their own meds and turn a blind eye to it.

Still can't get my head around it. You have a couple of regular meds, they know what they are but don't administer them.

Maybe there's a tacit understanding by the staff about the hospital charging procedures, they know people sneak in their own meds and turn a blind eye to it.

Does it bother you that I don't have to pay ten bucks (or more) a pop for a nurse to give me an individually wrapped pill that I get for seven bucks for a bottle of 30 at the pharmacy?

And yes, I'm sure the nurses know people bring their own meds in, and as long as those meds don't pose a danger to the patient, they look the other way.

I'm sure their bean counter bosses want them to charge patients as much as possible for anything billable. That how the American health care system works. It is a for-profit business model. Before Obamacare, it was basically, "Your money or your life." Can't afford health care? Well then, go away and die. BTW, True is vowing to repeal Obamacare.

CD

Does it bother you that I don't have to pay ten bucks (or more) a pop for a nurse to give me an individually wrapped pill that I get for seven bucks for a bottle of 30 at the pharmacy?
I think it's more that in the UK, you are brought up with the NHS approach to medication which is either "you need it, so here's the prescription for it, go and take it, no questions asked" or you don't need it, so no prescription. If you have it on script, you take it, end of story. There's no in-between.

I know here, I have 3 script for the same drug but in different doses. It's a blood pressure medication. I'm usually on the 160mg tablet. Have been since Easter. Prior to that it was the 40mg tablet. Since December though I've been having dizzy spells, so it's now back down at 80mg. In the UK, all of that, at each time it changed would have needed a separate doctor's appointment and the old script cancelled and a new one issued. I'd be expected to take which ever dose I'm prescribed without questioning it. Here, if I'm having dizzy fits, and take my BP at home and find it low or lower than my body can cope with, I can just decide which tablet I need to take, if I even take one that day, and change to the dosage that suits me better right now. I can swap and change on a daily basis if needed. My doctor just asks that next time I see them, I let them know what dose is currently working. Right now, that's the 80mg tablet instead of the 160mg.

That level of patient control isn't permitted in the UK (unless you have a really good rural doctor who is understanding and knows that you know what you're doing.) In the UK, the mentality is that you're the patient and you don't know what your doing.

So it's hard to understand that you have "medication you might not need to take".

I think it's more that in the UK, you are brought up with the NHS approach to medication which is either "you need it, so here's the prescription for it, go and take it, no questions asked" or you don't need it, so no prescription. If you have it on script, you take it, end of story. There's no in-between.

I know here, I have 3 script for the same drug but in different doses. It's a blood pressure medication. I'm usually on the 160mg tablet. Have been since Easter. Prior to that it was the 40mg tablet. Since December though I've been having dizzy spells, so it's now back down at 80mg. In the UK, all of that, at each time it changed would have needed a separate doctor's appointment and the old script cancelled and a new one issued. I'd be expected to take which ever dose I'm prescribed without questioning it. Here, if I'm having dizzy fits, and take my BP at home and find it low or lower than my body can cope with, I can just decide which tablet I need to take, if I even take one that day, and change to the dosage that suits me better right now. I can swap and change on a daily basis if needed. My doctor just asks that next time I see them, I let them know what dose is currently working. Right now, that's the 80mg tablet instead of the 160mg.

That level of patient control isn't permitted in the UK (unless you have a really good rural doctor who is understanding and knows that you know what you're doing.) In the UK, the mentality is that you're the patient and you don't know what your doing.

So it's hard to understand that you have "medication you might not need to take".

Similar here, with most doctors (there are some control freaks in the profession). I have a blood pressure medication that I only take if my blood pressure goes higher than a certain range when I take my blood pressure reading. My liver doctor tells me not to take any meds that I don't need to take, because the liver has to process all of them. She has provided guidance on that, of course, but then lets me make choices based on that guidance.

My PCP is the opposite. She does not want me to make any decisions without coming in to her office where she can tell me what to do -- but PCPs don't make much money here, so they want you in their offices as much as possible ($$$).

CD

Umm no not quite. I agree with some of that but some of it is a little out of date.

It is true that if you need a prescription (unless it's a sporadic problem) then you need it and should take it.
It is true, medication compliance is valued.
This is mostly due to patients deciding a drug doesn't work and just stopping taking it for no good reason and then us having to watch for example diabetes rob them of their vision/kidney function/limbs etc etc.

As for patients not knowing what they are doing and not being allowed control that's really not the full story.
The old school "do as you're told" medical staff mostly retired and the new wave are not the same. It is far more a collaborative approach which very much depends on the patient in front of you as to whether you think they will alter their dose in a sensible manner.

If a patient does alter their doses long term without consultation there can be consequences, unless you are an expert in that field or it is a simple adjustment it is always sensible to consult medical staff.

For example a common one is people feeling better on half a dose of BP medication but they often also ignore the fact their blood pressure is too high, they don't comprehend the consequences of stroke or heart attack until it's happened, by which time it is too late.
It really is best for the majority to have some guidance on this.

Patients also have a habit of believing anything Dr Google tells them that supports what they want to hear.
They also like to experiment on themselves with other treatments because holistic therapies are somehow rated in a way good hard cold science isn't. As a lot of medication comes from natural sources they can easily overdose themselves or interfere with the efficacy of a medication.

I've had to assess literally 1000's of people over the years I can assure you the crazy medical theories and odd reasoning for increasing/decreasing or stopping meds far far outweighs the occasional sensible person who walks through the door.

So you have to cut a little slack for a medical profession who see's reams of non-compliant people damaging themselves on a daily basis for being sceptical when someone who does actually fully understand their own medication needs walks through the door.

Plus I regularly had patients come in who control their own doses of meds for BP, diabetes, warfarin and all manner of other important things. It really depends on the individual.
Mr SSOAP was warfarin for a while, they knew he was sensible and let him adjust his dose, it wasn't a fight to do that, it was suggested.

I suppose my take away message would be unless you are an expert in your own ailments (and many long term chronic disease sufferers are) and you understand how to interpret medical research from legitimate peer reviewed resources then just make an appointment to see someone who has dedicated time and energy gaining the knowledge to help.

In the UK it's free, and people can always ignore the advice they are given, it's beyond doubt always best to seek that advice first.

Last edited:

Umm I think you might have picked the wrong end of the stick.

I'm vaguely disgusted you can't take your own meds in and think it is more than remiss not to ensure a patient in your care gets the medications they are prescribed.

Last edited:
We got hammered overnight with a pretty strong storm. Even by our standards. Being a short day at the shop, we close at 3 on Saturdays, I'll probably open later, because I have to suit up and dig out, then dig in the store and clean up there, too before we open. Probably an hour of work, all in.I doubt there will be many customers to make it worth all of the work, to tell you honestly. I may have a second cup of coffee and just take my time. I have to go in every day anyway..mind is going in circles...what to do?..what to do?.

My biggest concern is that I wanted to bring home some chicken wings because there are two football games on later🏈...:D

We got hammered overnight with a pretty strong storm
I saw some of that on the news this morning. They're talking temperatures of -55F/-45C in some places, plus 6-10 inches of snow... That is seriously dangerous. Frostbite in a heartbeat.
Have that second cup of coffee.
And maybe a third as well!

I saw some of that on the news this morning. They're talking temperatures of -55F/-45C in some places, plus 6-10 inches of snow... That is seriously dangerous. Frostbite in a heartbeat.
Have that second cup of coffee.
And maybe a third as well!
The record cold is out in Alberta. I'm about 3,000 kms from there, thankfully.
We just got the snow..and wind which makes for bad drifting. Just finished digging out at home..It was up to the door handles of the cars and a few feet away there was exposed grass on the front lawn..

Back
Top Bottom